Contract Brewing - Anyone Done It?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrisluki

Reaction score
Hey guys

Just wondering if anyone on here has some experience with contract brewing, stepping up from the sheds and home made kits we all lovingly tinker with on the weekends to get their favourite recipe brewed on a larger scale.

Down here in Tassie there are quite a few small start ups that would have capacity to do some contract brewing for people such as myself...it helps pay their bills early on and gives blokes like me who would like to have a crack a chance to dip the toe in the water without getting too wet!

I was having a pint with a brewery owner on Saturday night and he suggested I look into it...my reply was that I need a bit more experience at home to find a good/consistent recipe. To be honest, I was probably a little gutless...but why couldn't I have a crack? I spent 7 years working in the industry, so I know a bit about how the game works and have developed a half decent palate, so I wouldn't be going in too blind.

Keen to hear your thoughts on this?

Cheers

Chris

Its not an easy path

You have to satisfy 3 levels of government basically

Plenty of threads on on this subject

Its easy to make it, harder to get it into shops and get people buying it

But hell, live the dream. :D

chrisluki said:
I had a bit more of a think about it today...wrote a blog post on it.

Don't think it is for me just yet!

http://beerhealer.com/index.php/2015/09/28/is-contract-brewing-in-my-future/
Wrong attitude

You need to think outside the square a bit with equipment

If your smart you save a lot of dollars buying 2nd hand. Think dairy equipment...etc...

You dont need flash latest and greatest equipment

It is very possible, and plenty have/are doing it

I'd be interested to hear what the terms are with some of those breweries you talked to, have always liked the Mikeller model of brewing.
IMO let good brewing happen in a brewery and the exciting experimentation be done by someone with a great palate... Lot's of micro breweries thinks their stuff is the bees knees, without realizing it could do with a lot of tweaks, both to processes and recipes.

seehuusen said:
I'd be interested to hear what the terms are with some of those breweries you talked to, have always liked the Mikeller model of brewing.
IMO let good brewing happen in a brewery and the exciting experimentation be done by someone with a great palate... Lot's of micro breweries thinks their stuff is the bees knees, without realizing it could do with a lot of tweaks, both to processes and recipes.
Yeah I think Mikeller has done a great job.

I hear you on the microbreweries being too cool for school...i agree!

Quote:
Wayne Bennett 'Don't Die With The Music In You'

Things have a way of working out if you keep at it, the world's full of people who've given up a step or two short of their dreams.

All of the great inventions and accomplishments throughout history have come out of persons mind. If you want to do it, just do it, your probably thinking too far down the track and getting bogged down by it all. You reach your destination one step at a time, so decide to enjoy the journey as you go through it, both in good and bad, up and down times.

All the people who I've seen talk about about their success after they've made it, usually say the struggle to succeed turned out to be the best time they had.along the way, and they wouldn't change anything even if they could.

It usually pays to keep your dreams to yourself until you've cemented the footing in place at least, in case people who might mean well discourage you. The good thing on this forum though is that there's lot of people who'll encourage you too succeed once they see your really committed.

It only seems like yesterday I was 15 years old and then I blinked at woke up 59. Live your dream mate or the mindless masses, tv, and useless politicians will do it for you. Look at Gunns Limited screwing the Tree Farmer's in Tasmania and the government doing nothing.about it. These days if you have a good idea you believe in your probably going to have a better future than most other people.

Life really is short so live it too the full. Do it! :lol:

Edit:
Read this thread, it say's it all http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/87725-my-micro-brewery-dream/

chrisluki said:
I love the Wilson thread...that lad is living the dream!
We could be saying the same about you soon! You don't have to rush at it like a bull at a red flag, just do your homework and keep moving forward

PS. If you do go ahead with the idea let me know and I'll volunteer to sample a case or two for you. It could give you some great feedback for a future move into the Perth market.

:beer:

chrisluki said:
And, unlike just about every similar thread on a certain US forum, no one seems to have pointed out that he is absolutely doomed to failure unless he starts with at least a 10 barrel system, spends a fortune on a bottling line and so on and so on.

A dream you aren't actively working towards is merely a fantasy

You'll need a producers licence from OLGA to do gypsy Brewing.
That is renting a brewery tank.

Looking into it at current with two of my own. Just weighing up the $$ and distro

H0U5ECAT said:

Looking into it at current with two of my own. Just weighing up the $$ and distro
keen to hear how you go with it!

chrisluki said:
Still make mistakes on the daily..and have made MANY in the past...hahaha keep pushing forward though ay.

Here's some sayings I love.

Live and learn.
Never be afraid to fail.
Fear is the killer.
Goals and dreams are two different things.
Blaze your own trails.
Knowledge is power.

If you want to contract /gypsy brew you will make it happen. You've already started down the right path.
You may turn off that path onto another one or it might lead you to the end and you come back.

;?)

Cheers mate.
Matty.

real_beer said:
Quote:
Wayne Bennett 'Don't Die With The Music In You'

Things have a way of working out if you keep at it, the world's full of people who've given up a step or two short of their dreams.

All of the great inventions and accomplishments throughout history have come out of persons mind. If you want to do it, just do it, your probably thinking too far down the track and getting bogged down by it all. You reach your destination one step at a time, so decide to enjoy the journey as you go through it, both in good and bad, up and down times.

All the people who I've seen talk about about their success after they've made it, usually say the struggle to succeed turned out to be the best time they had.along the way, and they wouldn't change anything even if they could.

It usually pays to keep your dreams to yourself until you've cemented the footing in place at least, in case people who might mean well discourage you. The good thing on this forum though is that there's lot of people who'll encourage you too succeed once they see your really committed.

It only seems like yesterday I was 15 years old and then I blinked at woke up 59. Live your dream mate or the mindless masses, tv, and useless politicians will do it for you. Look at Gunns Limited screwing the Tree Farmer's in Tasmania and the government doing nothing.about it. These days if you have a good idea you believe in your probably going to have a better future than most other people.

Life really is short so live it too the full. Do it! :lol:

Edit:
Read this thread, it say's it all http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/87725-my-micro-brewery-dream/
As a 22 year old obsessed with brewing, finishing uni this year and weighing up moving in a completely different direction towards the brewing industry but being nervous about if it's the right thing to do this is sort of exactly what I needed to read.

A lot of breweries do contract brewing, either to build the brand to get capital to buy equipment or to deal with expanding demand when the on site brewery doesn't have the capacity to deal with it. You'll be surprised how many craft beers are made by Independent Distillers (a prominent contract brewery)

H0U5ECAT said:

Know any places willing to let people gypsy brew? (and what sort of volumes?)

I've asked around a few places - been asking if they have a ≤200L pilot system I could use - but can't lock anything down. (and I won't fork out for the ~$700 for a Producer's Licence until I'm certain I have somewhere to brew).

May know a bit about it. Just a tad. Ever wondered how good your sales kills are in a high emotional bonded fmcg product?

Nizmoose said:
As a 22 year old obsessed with brewing, finishing uni this year and weighing up moving in a completely different direction towards the brewing industry but being nervous about if it's the right thing to do this is sort of exactly what I needed to read.
Pretty much same boat here. 23 and finishing a double degree end of next year. Actively considering ignoring those to go to some formal brewing education. Haven't even been brewing long. The idea just seems so appealing.

Back