Continuing Rant Thread - Get it Off Ya Chest here

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tomorrow is my birthday and no prick on Earth bothered to tell me about Melvins in Melbourne last night and tonight.

Happy fuckin’ birthday old, grumpy man.
How old are you because it seems that if you want to take over a phone number all you need is date of birth to change to a new provider probably also useful for identity fraud.

So if I tell you how old I am, you'll steal my phone number?
If he does that, make sure you fill out as many online surveys quoting that phone number. Also be sure to tick all the boxes;
Yes I would like someone to cal me about insurances and funerals and investment and banking needs and new cars and................

Yes I may have done this to a couple of colleagues and yes i may have laughed when they complain about all the spam emails (be sure to add email address) and spam calls.

So if I tell you how old I am, you'll steal my phone number?
Dumb system they ask for your birth date to use for id but if you use real date how safe is that and if you make up a date when they ask for your birth date you forget what date you used.

If he does that, make sure you fill out as many online surveys quoting that phone number. Also be sure to tick all the boxes;
Yes I would like someone to cal me about insurances and funerals and investment and banking needs and new cars and................

Yes I may have done this to a couple of colleagues and yes i may have laughed when they complain about all the spam emails (be sure to add email address) and spam calls.

I have had mates who, upon a finding out that the rent wasnt being forwarded on to the landlord, dialed 0055 numbers at left the phone of the hook for hours & hours. Person supposed to pay the landlord was the name on the phone. Boys found another place before the bill arrived...apparently is was up near $10k ...and that was 15yrs ago

That reminds me about a house a friend rented the house had a working phone and while they where there not one bill .

This reminds me of our constitution and the current rabble

welder fuckwitts.jpeg

happy birthday Manticle (auto corrected to Man Tickle; never noticed before). You share it with my son. Hope you sank a few or otherwise enjoyed yourself

Tomorrow is my birthday and no prick on Earth bothered to tell me ...
Happy fuckin’ birthday old, grumpy man.

Belated Happy Birthday, mants!
Hope you have a great weekend celebrating, and sneak in a Belgian strong or 2.
B'cos birthdays should be celebrated with a Belgian or 2 [emoji6]

[/rant]
I will no doubt show my age here, however I am becoming increasingly pissed off at the apparent lack of education in the last 50 years when it comes to spelling. Some examples to illustrate, the first one being perhaps the most common of all misunderstood spelling:

They're is short for < they are >. There is a place. Their indicates possession. In a sentence:
The lads are thirsty, so they're going to the fridge over there to grab their beers.

And a few others:

Site is a place. Sight is one of our senses.
The site for tonight's piss-up, the pub just down the road, is in sight.

Board can be a piece of wood, or money you might pay for accommodation. Bored can indicate boredom, or can mean you've drilled a hole in something (a board maybe). Baud is a modulation rate in digital nerdy stuff.

A rein is part of the tack used for horses. Rain falls from the sky. Monarchs reign over their subjects.

To and too. $20 for a pint? Too much to pay.

Ahh - English. It's a tricky language. And regrettably, it doesn't seem to be taught anymore.

Aha, just thought of another: Taught is what you were when teachers used to succeed in educating you. Taut is the tension of the hanging rope, the end of which should be around a failed teacher's neck! And tort is a legal term, meaning a civil wrong.

Examples abound, but I believe it's down to the changing emphasis and desired outcomes of our education system. So - nothing against folk who were never taught these things. Our society is the poorer.

[/end rant]

Feel free to add more.

[/rant]
I will no doubt show my age here, however I am becoming increasingly pissed off at the apparent lack of education in the last 50 years when it comes to spelling. Some examples to illustrate, the first one being perhaps the most common of all misunderstood spelling:

They're is short for < they are >. There is a place. Their indicates possession. In a sentence:
The lads are thirsty, so they're going to the fridge over there to grab their beers.

And a few others:

Site is a place. Sight is one of our senses.
The site for tonight's piss-up, the pub just down the road, is in sight.

Board can be a piece of wood, or money you might pay for accommodation. Bored can indicate boredom, or can mean you've drilled a hole in something (a board maybe). Baud is a modulation rate in digital nerdy stuff.

A rein is part of the tack used for horses. Rain falls from the sky. Monarchs reign over their subjects.

To and too. $20 for a pint? Too much to pay.

Ahh - English. It's a tricky language. And regrettably, it doesn't seem to be taught anymore.

Aha, just thought of another: Taught is what you were when teachers used to succeed in educating you. Taut is the tension of the hanging rope, the end of which should be around a failed teacher's neck! And tort is a legal term, meaning a civil wrong.

Examples abound, but I believe it's down to the changing emphasis and desired outcomes of our education system. So - nothing against folk who were never taught these things. Our society is the poorer.

[/end rant]

Feel free to add more.

Hey Roger, you forgot bawd and torte.

And past, present & future tense. It is STAGGERING the number of Australians, including the more "educated" ones that misuse words like come instead of came, etc.
Surely it's not that hard, peoples!!

It's not a new problem. And it's not specific to youth.

People of all ages - many on this forum for example - completely omit proper grammar and punctuation from their sentences. You'll find no commas or periods, paragraphs of text that don't read properly. And those posters are adults. Don't go blaming teachers or kids, ignorance hasn't changed since you were young, it's just that the ignorant now have easier access to a louder soapbox (think Twitter)

People say technology is making the newer generations antisocial too, yet you'll find a photo of a 1920s bus stop with all 20 people buried in a newspaper.

Back