Continuing Rant Thread - Get it Off Ya Chest here

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yeah nuts to those people who want to learn at home or study, start a business, or have to work from home since they are employed from overseas. Tele/video conferencing forget about that... etc, etc...

"Mitch Fitfield and I are not leaving this to bureaucrats. We are dealing with the management directly." -Malcolm (i'll-try-not-to-****-it-up-but-probably-will) Turnbull.
Too little to late.

Sure, a very small number of people could benefit from fibre to the home, but fibre to 8 million households in Australia. Nope.

not sure what you are getting at there fella, essential services get to households, that's the point of it. How is fiber or network delivery of the day any different? Unless you don't think the Internet is essential.

I don't believe fibre to every household is necessary, that's all.

I'm all for people in isolated communities have access to fast, reliable internet services, but Joe Blow who just wants to share his life on social media, or download the latest movies faster than he can now, doesn't need me to fund fibre to his house as far as I'm concerned. And I'd suspect that is what most people use the internet for.

I can do all I need to do right now, without fibre to my home. I can watch movies, video call, do banking, send invoices, social media and plenty of other stuff.

They could have had FTTH much cheaper than Malcoms Mixed Technology Network

And fiber will outlive our growing data rates. Copper wont

Copper is more expensive with far less bandwidth. And fiber cable is cheaper by the metere than copper, so work that one out

But the LNP beleive that 25Mbps is enough for the average houshold.....so yeah

I don't believe fibre to every household is necessary, that's all.

I'm all for people in isolated communities have access to fast, reliable internet services, but Joe Blow who just wants to share his life on social media, or download the latest movies faster than he can now, doesn't need me to fund fibre to his house as far as I'm concerned. And I'd suspect that is what most people use the internet for.

I can do all I need to do right now, without fibre to my home. I can watch movies, video call, do banking, send invoices, social media and plenty of other stuff.

And I however, cannot. I am 22 kms from 3000, i may as well be remote. Don't get me wrong, isolated areas need reliable kit for everything; education, warning systems, data/informations services, etc etc.

My issue is i pay for it, as a tax payer, i've funded the nbn, but i don't get their service. i pay rates for water, levies for fire, etc, etc i get essential services. But not a WAN connection, it is essential for my livelyhood.

And if you think that is unreasonable, the market should allow for people like me to choose what speeds they wish connect at, if i wish too, for what ever reason, i cover the cost, eventually, but no, short of private contractors, i can't.

Roads are a perfect analogy, and just think of toll roads, do i NEED another 6 lane bridge over port Phillip, no but we'll build one anyway and set up a user pays model to re-coup the cost 20 years later. Lessens traffic around residential areas, and keeps the other bridge less congested. The benefits are abundantly obvious.

No, instead i get $122 m non-binding ballot - when what really should have been done is prudent investment in boom time mining tax into critical infrastructure, not unlike other booms in the mid 1800s and post war (ag booms) where there are a lot of investments in schools, hospitals and universities some of which are still around today. Because sick stupid populations are bad, just like poorly connected digitally hamstrung ones.

Put the better long term infrastructure in, re coup the cost later. Not the resold abused and unfit for purpose strategy that's playing out right now.

Put the better long term infrastructure in, re coup the cost later. Not the resold abused and unfit for purpose strategy that's playing out right now.

And thats exactly what the ALP had planned. A fiber network will last years. Pretty much a case of do it once, do it properly

What is the point of putting a national broadband network on outdated copper and ******* HFC ...Optus and Telstra laughed all the way to the profit

NBN are stuck with a very big " upgrade" bill that Optus & Telstra where very keep to get rid of

They had there Alan Bond with the NBN

They put the NBN in areas that already had good Internet when there are Internet black spots why would that happen could it have been political.

NBN was fucked from the get go though, the ALP introduced tiering and created a monopoly - that CVC model is insane, and monopolies are never good.
Still, with fiber at least you could've got rid of those things down the track.
Working models are easy to change, "working" infrastructure already in the ground or overhead, less so.

I can tell you now Malcolm, Bill and all their underlings all have sweet sweet links to the their offices and homes and free foxtel etc etc, is it political... hmm? not sure.

And the LNP want to make NBN create cheaper CVC's for " the big guys"...so the little guys have to pay more because they have fewer end users and cant purchase in bulk like the big guys

Can you see how that turns out....because if you cant.....

Competition is ******* awesome when the gov is on the side of the big 3

Daughter having sleepover with friends. Cue screaming, sugar highs, pizza, and shit music being played through shitty ipad speakers.
Chips & lollies everywhere. Get woken up at 6am to help them make pancakes, basically hang in background and make sure they don't burn the ******* house down. One's already burnt her finger on the frypan, Now they're into icypoles and watching shit tween movies.
At least there's no rivalries.... yet.

Daughter having sleepover with friends. Cue screaming, sugar highs, pizza, and shit music being played through shitty ipad speakers.
Chips & lollies everywhere. Get woken up at 6am to help them make pancakes, basically hang in background and make sure they don't burn the ******* house down. One's already burnt her finger on the frypan, Now they're into icypoles and watching shit tween movies.
At least there's no rivalries.... yet.
Breakfast beer?

Being woken up just about every day by the neighbour's ******* stupid mongrel dog barking at thin air for ages... sometimes I wish I had a shotgun and there were no consequences for getting rid of pests like that...

Being woken up just about every day by the neighbour's ******* stupid mongrel dog barking at thin air for ages... sometimes I wish I had a shotgun and there were no consequences for getting rid of pests like that...
There is a legal process you can take if its really bad. Look up nuisance dogs in your local council website. You take a log of the times its really bad and three separate times the council has to at least inform the owner to do something about it or they will. Thing that anoys me is its usually always the owners fault not the dog etc.

He that is without sin among you, let him cast the first stone" nothing like a good neighborhood fued how quickly they escalate.

It's definitely the owners fault, they never bother doing anything with it at all from what we've seen, although its barking has decreased lately for some reason. Either way we're renting so we're just gonna find somewhere else when the lease expires.

Sent from my Agora 4G+ using Aussie Home Brewer mobile app

Ordered an executive (type of guy I am) swivel arm chair out of Melbourne. Arrived in excellent time however the arm rests were missing. Pissed off but sent courteous message advising of the problem.
They only replied buy asking for photos of what I did received as this “would help them fix the problem”.
Unbelievable! I controlled myself and have sent the photos plus a list of what I did receive. However I did point out that “it is a fairly simple problem in that the bloody arm rests are bloody missing”

Back