Continuing Rant Thread - Get it Off Ya Chest here

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now I may be missing something, but, I think (exactly -1) half the people in the world have below average IQ.
And to quote MHB, we force them to vote. In Australia.

How do you figure that? Or is it in jest?

Mean averages can be skewed by overly high or low results but they won't necessarily split 50:50

You are correct, in some populations, attributes can be skewed by outliers. In this case, I am assuming, with reasonable grounds, that this attribute of the population is "normally distributed" and so, if this is the case, that half the population lie above the mean and half below it. Given the sample size, I.e. Everybody.

In support of your premise, average salary is one that gets my goat.
There are a few people on a shitload of money who skew the mean upward from the great number of low wage earners.

Too easy, got 100% pass rate. But that's with a couple of quick guesses!

I suspect the IQ test with advertising pop ups may not be totally legit.
On the strength of my 'very superior' level of intelligence, I went out seeking new challenges. Now I feel somewhat deflated..

NZ? NZ? Oh dear..

http://mensa.org.nz/online-test/

Actually the opposite is true. Intelligence strongly correlated with hereditary, estimated up to 80%. Genetic variation, malnutrition and disease aside, environment plays little to no role in IQ. The jury isn't out on this, its simply a conclusion based on mountains of evidence and years of research.
If you could truly influence intelligence to a meaningful degree via environmental factors, we would be up to our necks in nobel laureates.
No amount of high pressure parenting and after school tutoring will turn a child with perfectly ordinary smarts into the next Stephen Hawking.

On that logic, Australia being settled by around 10% low IQ convicts (? check figure please?) must mean the average IQ of the country is skewed to the right? And perhaps why a large proportion of our politicians are proving to be "ring-ins" of dual nationality, .. i.e. to raise the IQ?

New Zealand on the other hand was freely settled.

Flame suit on.

Go.

The bottom line is greed and money do get you places. But it always seem to be the other guy / country / group whos greedy.
You should, if you haven't already, read Coming Apart and The Bell Curve by Charles Murray and Richard Herrnsteinn- or cheat like me and do the audiobook thing.
When we say 'ruling class' we're really saying the "cognitive elite" - dumb people dont typically govern countries.. The uncomfortable truth is the divide between the classes more to do with the incontrovertible link between intelligence and personal success, higher income, social stability and so on. Like it or not, countries with the lowest IQ scores also tend to share the lowest standards of living for their citizens.
Wealth distribution or Marxism wont save you if your country is still at the level of public executions, medieval theocracy and tribalism.
Seriously??? Have you heard the crap coming out of Politicians(front bench ministers) mouths when they're not parroting word for word what their adviser have spoon fed them. Surely you don't need examples! And this is half the problem, the leading elite are so far out of touch with the daily realities of life for the vast majority of their constituents. When their job is management of a country, how do you manage people you don't (want to) understand or have empathy for? The only reason most front benchers can tell you the price of bread or milk or even a case of beer comes down to one interview years ago. Dumb as DS!
Unfortunately the only interest our current crop of pollies have is getting re-elected, by doing as little as possible in the process, incase doing something rocks the boat a little too much.

Unfortunately the only interest our current crop of pollies have is getting re-elected, by doing as little as possible in the process, incase doing something rocks the boat a little too much.

don't forget overseas study bullshit trips, fat pensions -claim fat super before anyone else in the land can, **** up but get an overseas posting or "job for the boys/girls" and last but not least be protected by Parliamentary Privelege and slag anyone, anything without proof or possibility of prosecution.

Last edited:
New Zealand on the other hand was freely settled.

er, what?

Unlike Australia and the United States, NZ was not used extensively as a penal colony by the Brits. A few of the Aussie convicts did get over there eventually though.

contentiously settled might be a better term and certainly not peacefully.
also, no terra nullius so there's that too.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Zealand_Wars
proceeded by
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Musket_Wars

Yes. Colonisation was brutal, violent and unfair.

But it remains, NZ was not set up to be a Penal colony, unlike Australia and America. This had some influence on the immigration.

Edit: Very far off topic now. So I'll stop while I'm behind.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back