Continuing Rant Thread - Get it Off Ya Chest here

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep, the retailer ended up compensating me. But that was only after about 6 months of emails, numerous case managers, and assistance from the TIO.
If it wasn't for the TIO I wouldn't have found out about the mistake made by the provider with the service charter agreement, and would have spent many more months arguing with case managers.
That being said, it didn't get me connected any quicker, but the $'s they paid out eased the pain.

Fark me. Just realised it's going to take 8 or 9 photos until Yob's bday dream gal is hidden from the recent photos tab. Ease up on the uploads people or that'll come around real quick.

If you turn it upside down it looks like a real life version of Rodger with a beard, from the animated T.V show American Dad.

Yeah maybe just squint a little bit more, it'll come.

Does anyone use the hot key combinations on windows computers like Ctrl + Alt + arrow keys

wynnum1 said:
Does anyone use the hot key combinations on windows computers like Ctrl + Alt + arrow keys
Not under Windows, but on my Linux workstation those keys switch between the 3x3 virtual desktops. Works well with my dual monitor setup - it's the equivalent real estate of eighteen 24" monitors.

So I get a letter in the mail saying bring your car in for a recall (airbags) and I ring up and they say 'we haven't got the airbags, but bring it in anyway as there are two other recalls outstanding'. I says okay and take it in.

Car is running fine before I take it in this morning. They ring up at lunch and say "your battery is completely dead we have to replace it with a $180 battery'. You can't take it home until we do, or you have to jumpstart it.

I know I can get a battery much cheaper locally, the car was running fine this morning and every other day this year... am I being scammed?

PS. Toyota dealership.

Kicked up a stink and the 'manager' rings me back:

"We had another look at it and it seems to be okay now, you can come and pick up your car"

Frickers sure will try it on... I keep a set of jumper leads in the boot as the Mrs is always leaving her lights on and needing rescuing, I reckon they saw the jumper leads and thought they'd try one on.

good4whatAlesU said:
Kicked up a stink and the 'manager' rings me back:

"We had another look at it and it seems to be okay now, you can come and pick up your car"

Frickers sure will try it on... I keep a set of jumper leads in the boot as the Mrs is always leaving her lights on and needing rescuing, I reckon they saw the jumper leads and thought they'd try one on.
Probably left the ignition on after unplugging the tester and all it needed was a quick recharge. Be wary though as this is a good indicator of a battery on its way out. Surprised a Toyota will let you run the battery flat from the headlights. Since the mid-nineties they've implemented some good systems to prevent this.

If it's a late model car, which outstanding recalls suggests, the battery needs to be in peak condition to initiate all the electronic modules incorporated in the vehicle. Unfortunately, this conflicts with the modern desire to produce a product at the cheapest price for the highest profit. Therefore, batteries just don't last as long as they used to. To get two years out of a factory or budget automotive battery is about standard. It might seem to start no worries, but you'd be suprised at the number of issues caused by a battery dropping under 10V on startup.

Still, I bet the service advisor was trying to make a commission. I've seen them sell auto-flushes on a manual.

I had to put my 79 series 'cruiser over the pits to get it re-registered recently. It had been doing paddock duties nearly daily and never had a problem starting...... Yet after I left it with the local mechanic overnight, battery was as flat as a tack. He managed to get it into the carpark of the neighbouring IGA for me to pick up the next morning (he shuts up shop before I get home) but I seriously think he must have pushed it over there with the apprentice.

Luckily I had a really enthusiastic bloke who was forced to down grade to a Kia something or another from a similar ute who was stoked to help me get it started again.

Untitled.png

Camo6 said:
Probably left the ignition on after unplugging the tester and all it needed was a quick recharge. Be wary though as this is a good indicator of a battery on its way out. Surprised a Toyota will let you run the battery flat from the headlights. Since the mid-nineties they've implemented some good systems to prevent this.

If it's a late model car, which outstanding recalls suggests, the battery needs to be in peak condition to initiate all the electronic modules incorporated in the vehicle. Unfortunately, this conflicts with the modern desire to produce a product at the cheapest price for the highest profit. Therefore, batteries just don't last as long as they used to. To get two years out of a factory or budget automotive battery is about standard. It might seem to start no worries, but you'd be suprised at the number of issues caused by a battery dropping under 10V on startup.

Still, I bet the service advisor was trying to make a commission. I've seen them sell auto-flushes on a manual.
Could be the case Camo, it's just an old 2009 corolla I picked up cheap (ex-rental) when it had 50k on the clock.

Now 150+k I've got my money worth out of it as a daily runner - I'll keep it going til it carks it. Put a new battery in it about 3 years ago, might be time for a new one... Just got me surprised the one time it dies was at the dealer after it had a good warm up that morning and they just 'happened" to have a very expensive replacement on hand....

Anyway they got a few bucks out of me as I paid for a service while it was in ($100 more than my normal mechanic).

I'd service it myself but Toyota the sneaky buggers have made it so you can't remove the oil filter without a special 'Toyota tool'. FFS it's a Corolla!!

Mrs has a Honda which is a great little car, but tiny little battery which goes flat pretty quick if the internal lights left on.

good4whatAlesU said:
I'd service it myself but Toyota the sneaky buggers have made it so you can't remove the oil filter without a special 'Toyota tool'. FFS it's a Corolla!!
Its called a long screwdriver and a hammer

NOTE...you wont be able to use the old filter ever again

Might have to start doing that Stu, filters are chuck away jobs now anyway I believe.

Removal point is some kind of countersunk star socket or such ridiculous thing... Sneaky pricks, a hex or Allen bolt would have done the job.

Back