Continuing Rant Thread - Get it Off Ya Chest here

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bribie G

Adjunct Professor
Reaction score
Ok you spend a lot of time on AHB and most of your personal friends aren't particularly interested in hearing your rant so why not get it off your chest right here, whatever it is.

One of my favourite rants.

So car making is to end in Australia, but did the companies get it right for our market during the years they were here anyway? Bloody Ford .. They replaced the ageing but dead reliable XD-XF Falcon Range with the dreadful EA Falcon in the late 80s. I worked for Rothmans and out of a fleet of 18 in Brisbane only my EA didn't blow its engine up in the first month. Mine burned down to the axles on Morayfield Road. Then when Hyundai took over Kia, thus the Festiva was no longer available, Ford walked away from the small car market for years till eventually they caved in and started importing the excellent Fiesta that had been available since the 1970s. Likewise after the Laser was discontinued they sat on the Focus for nearly a decade and when eventually they brought it in, it was already a runout model in Europe. All too little too late. Meanwhile Hyundai, Toyota etc had shat all over them in the small to mid sector. Then they brought in, then took out, then brought back the Mondeo but meanwhile Toyota had the market sewed up with the Camry.

Fools

As for Holden, following the demise of the Gemini they discontinued small cars and at one stage were a feeble two model lineup with only the Commodore and the dreadful awful Camira. In Europe the Camira (Vauxhall Cavalier) was a brilliant reliable car and often outsold Ford's Sierra (predecessor to Mondeo). However the Australian version was a heap of badly assembled crap, most common fault being to dump all the sump oil onto your driveway in one hit.
edit: and when they did reenter the small car market with the Barina they used first Suzuki then GM Opel Corsa and that was a terrific little car. So, based on the solid sales and performance of that (Spanish made) variant they discontinued it and sourced the Barina from wonderful upmarket Daewoo. Smart Move dickheads.
Morons.

If they had been true four-model companies they could have built massive consumer loyalty and trust that would have possibly ensured continuing strong sales for Falcon and Commodore plus a sales volume that could have warranted local assembly of most of the small car segment.

Their closure really left Toyota with no good local parts base for their models so they left as well.

end rant.

My rant against Vegans will appear here at a later date. :)

I like the car manufacturers rant Bribie. :lol:

No one has added that with the demise of the large car in Aus that the Holden and Ford dealers nationally didn't mind taking on other franchises of imported small and medium cars.
The dealers could see the writing on the wall years ago...pity the parent companies were operating with the blinkers on. :ph34r:

One of only positive things I can see from the demise of the Australian automotive industry is the range of models being imported will increase significantly. Although we still won't have anywhere near the variety of optional extras and powertrains available in Europe or America. We are, after all, a penal colony on the far side of the earth.

V8 Super cars is going to be interesting.

^ This coming from a cricket lover. God, everytime I even mention the word cricket I fall zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

browndog said:
V8 Super cars is going to be interesting.
Hope so. Its not overly exciting. All the cars are basically the same. The just change the badge.

Can't wait for the vegan rant. Can't trust a man who won't eat cheese.

Camo6 said:
^ This coming from a cricket lover. God, everytime I even mention the word cricket I fall zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Do you play Chess mate? Thats like cricket.

Do you play Boring as ****? Thats like car racing.

I understand if you are an operation or Ka-plunk kinda guy but, really, car racing? I would rather poke my eyes with a magpie feather...

Just sayin - each to their own :p

Some c##t drew a dick on the carpenter's new radio before I had a chance to:
dickradio.jpg
Didn't we have a thread for this already? No topic?

Oh yeah- XD falcon - best ford ever. Although my first car I bought when I was 15 was a 1962 XK falcon, cool car if you like driving boats. And he LC-LJ torana - most reliable holdens ever. HR holden arguably one of the toughest australian cars ever.

timmi9191 said:
Oh yeah the xd!! Dick Johnson knows how good they are!!
anything else and Dick Johnson may not still be here.

The XD is the Chuck Norris of Aussie fords!

Ok,

Riddle me this;

When the **** do you go from 'Falling over' to 'Having a Fall' - WTF?

It seems it is about 70... so my mum tells me Grandma has 'Had a Fall' - Its like it becomes an event, really? I 'HAD' a wank the other day - Did I wank or have a wank?

Surely it is called falling over or fell over - why is 'Had a Fall' applied after someone is of a certain age? Oh, she has had a fall...

I tripped on a miss levelled garden tile the other day, did I trip, fall over or HAVE A FALL?

I think, at that age, it implies the fact that the victim survived. If you said "Grandma fell over" you have no indication if the poor old dear lived to watch another episode of Dancing with the Stars. But when you say "Grandma had a fall" you immediately think she also had a boiled egg for brekkie, had her meds, or had a win at bingo. No disrespect to Grandma BTW, hope she's doing well.

And you really should give her a call more often.

Back