Consistently low alcohol content?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TK1

Reaction score
Hi,

Maybe a basic question, but hoping someone can assist before I put my next one on at the weekend.

I've successfully made a few brews now (and unsuccessfully made a couple originally). Main thing is I'm learning and having fun.

So far have just made kits - Fat Yak and Summer Wheat from Liquorcraft and Apple Cider from Crush Cider kits. All turned out OK (better than last couple of tries). However, the consistent result in all has been low ABV.

I measure OG when I have everything in the fermenter - should I measure just the wort or something different? I measure FG when fermentation has stopped. I then calculate [(OG - FG) x 0.12] = ABV%

I am finding the FG is generally between 1012 and 1014, and I'm therefore getting an ABV of around 3% - 4%. Less than expected form these kits.

I use a fridge/heat pad to keep fermenting temp consistent, for alses and cider around 19-20 degrees C.

So, I'm wondering what I am either doing wrong, or should be doing:

1. measuring OG differently
2. not pitching the yeast properly so it's not fermenting fully
3. doing something else that is causing alcohol % to be less?

If I'm not doing anything wrong in the process (following instructions, sanitise properly, yeast in warm water first, aerate fermenter, etc) is there something I should do on top of what is being stated in the instructions or supplied in the kit? More sugar/dextrose added?

Interested in any experience or tips - not trying to go overboard with the ABV, but I'd expect it to end up around 4.5 - 5.2% for these brews?

Thanks,
Darren

Hi,

Yes, batch size as per instructions - typically 21 or 23 liters.

Pretty sure I was doing everything right :huh:

What abv are you aiming for?
You can increase og and decrease fg in a number of ways. Flavour balance can be affected but if you know what how and why you can achieve what you want (within reason).

Reduce the batch size or add more fermentables. Dextrose, or light dry malt extract, or even Coopers Brew Enhancer 1 or 2.

What were your OGs out of interest?

Do you think you reached FG? May be worth raising temp toward end of ferment to ensure it is done and leaving for three or so days with stable fg and no signs of activity.

I did a few dme brews when getting into it and found high fg, I believe because the extract is made quite dextrinous. If you are making kit and kilo with dme as the kilo, that could explain it. Try subbing some sugar?

Looks like your calc's are a little out.
(OG-FG)x0.134 then add.3 - .5 for your priming method.
That would explain it, just did a quick add up and at 34 points your figures are .5% under.

in my experience 1kg malt, 200-300gm Dex normally got a high 4% beer in the bottle.

If making from a kit then no need to measure og calculate from ingredients if ingredients are not properly mixed will give false reading.

Might be a long shot, but I'm wondering what your OG readings are also and what temp is the wort when taking the reading? This could throw your calcs out as well.

Hi,

Thanks all for the replies. I'll look up the OG and FG's I had and recalculate with the online calcs and yum beer's formula and suspect I'll get a better reading. They don't taste "light" so wondering if it is my calculation vs reality.

However, I'll also try more fermentables/dextrose/malt next time and the other suggestions and see what impact it has on flavour, readings and abv.

Thanks.

Back