Connecting Keg To Disconnect

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djackal

Reaction score
Hi Guys I have a keg of beer that i was about to get stuck into butcouldn't get the liquid dis-connect to connect to the keg.
The keg is already gassed and I am thinking that the keg pressure may be the thing stopping the connection from occuring.

Is there any way to get in connected other than releasing the keg pressure and then re gassing?

Cheers
Carl

Should not be too hard.
Make sure you are connecting to the gas/in post.
Try releasing pressure if all else fails.
Wont use to much gas re-pressurising.

Hi Guys I have a keg of beer that i was about to get stuck into butcouldn't get the liquid dis-connect to connect to the keg.
The keg is already gassed and I am thinking that the keg pressure may be the thing stopping the connection from occuring.

Is there any way to get in connected other than releasing the keg pressure and then re gassing?

Cheers
Carl

What sort of keg do you have?

If it's one with posts, are they both the correct type? The gas + liquid ones are subtly different shapes, and the disconnects aren't interchangable. (I've labeled my Gas and Liquid posts on my kegs cos I keep getting them mixed up) :rolleyes:

Also, could simply be your O-ring making the connection a bit tight. One of mine is like that - just have to push down a little harder to get the connector on.

My kegs are ball lock from TWOC and the gas is already connected. Just liquid to connect.
as an aside.
When designing the kegs it would have been nice to make the gas and liquid clearer. I've been meaning to mark which is which but never get around to it!

Cheers guys

On ball lock kegs the Gas disconnect on the keg always has a notch/groove cut into it.
Think Groove => Gas

Beers,
Doc

On ball lock kegs the Gas disconnect on the keg always has a notch/groove cut into it.
Think Groove => Gas

Beers,
Doc

Such is the mantra I repeat to myself when putting the kegs back together.

Gas has slot ... Gas has slot ... Gas has slot ... Gas has slot ... Gas has slot ... Gas has slot ... Gas has slot ... Gas has slot ... :ph34r:

Warren -

A picture tells a thousand words....

gas_and_liquid_ball_locks.jpg

Liquid on the LEFT, gas on the RIGHT.

There are a few varieties of the above, but the gas connectors always have a notch around the base, and the liquid do not.

Are you using a black ball-lock to connect to the liquid post (Just to be sure)?
I find a little bit of keg lube around the O-ring every once in a while really helps the connectors slip on/off with ease.

I find a little bit of keg lube around the O-ring every once in a while really helps the connectors slip on/off with ease.

this is probly the answer , dry O'rings , keg lube , KY, or even just spit on your finger and rub around the O'ring.

:beer:

I can't get any lube at the moment so I give give the inside of the disconnect a quick squirt with weak idophor solution - slippery as! slides on and off much easier - probably helps that its an acid solution

lou

Just another comment.

Make absolutely certain you have them around the right way. You say the gas is already connected, but have you confirmed it is on the gas post and not on the liquid post? It's possible you may be trying to put the liquid disconnect on the gas post-even though the gas is already connected. The disconnects can be fitted onto the wrong post (at least in one direction-gas on liquid or liquid on gas, can't remember) but can be a PITA to get off. By the way I'm not recommending doing this, just saying accidents happen.

One of my kegs has the rubber handles mounted wrong (180 degrees out) so it actually mislabels which one is the gas in and liquid out posts. The notch/groove identification Doc mentions above is much better.

I use silicone grease for keg lube, but rarely have it handy so usually use a bit of water or beer to lube it. I don't use spit as that's probably the dirtiest liquid you could find in regards to bacteria content.

The kegger's mantra.

Grey disconnect - Gas - Groove and some food grade grease. KY jelly or keg lube. Some people also use tap grease as used by plumbers.

Another good way around things is if you can find the red o-rings that go on the post. When I could get my hands on 'em I used to say put the red one on the gas post and the black one on the liquid.

Very handy when re-attaching the gas after your 5th pint. :lol:

Warren -

Is this the first time you've used the keg? If so, it may be that it is fitted with two gas posts - it happened with one of my kegs (grumble grumble...).

Another one I fell for was the ever-foaming keg - after a half dozen pints or so, all I could get was a pint of foam. Degassed it, opened it up and discovered the liquid post attached to the short dip tube, and the gas post on the long dip tube. Beer was better after that. :lol:

I have yellow paint around my gas posts and have only 'stuffed-up' once :( bright yellow paint for gas, works for me now. :) .

I have not had any trouble so far. I learned early in the piece that the disconnects are different colour for a reason. Gray gor Gas and Black for Beer

Cheers
PeterS... :beer:

Think it's more the posts we're talking about Peter... ;)

Think it's more the posts we're talking about Peter... ;)

Fair enough. In my case that is also easy as it is stamped in the rubber as IN for Gas and OUT for Beer. No doubt that some are not marked though. In this case, have a look at the dip tube inside the keg. You want the longest tube close to the bottom to ensure that you get the maximum beer out of the keg. Mark that post as Beer Out with something like a black paint as the Beer disconnect is black.

Cheers,
Peter... :beer:

So....did you manage to hook up to your keg?
You did have the beer dip tube fitted, to the beer out post, didn't you? :ph34r:

I watched an experienced kegger lose the plot when after a good hour of stuffing around, realised that he'd put the gas dip tube under the beer out post and wondered why he was just serving gas in a glass! :p

And it wasn't me! :blink: :D

I watched an experienced kegger lose the plot when after a good hour of stuffing around, realised that he'd put the gas dip tube under the beer out post and wondered why he was just serving gas in a glass! :p

Gold, gold, gold! :lol: :super: :party:

PZ.

Back