Conical fermenter conversion kit

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

S.E

Reaction score
It occurred to me some time ago that a standard 30l or 60L plastic fermenter could be converted to a conical if cones were available that could be screwed on in place of the lid.

The fermenter could then be flipped upside down supported in a frame and the tap which would now be at the top could be used as a blow off (with a bit of tube attached).

I dismissed the idea at the time as i thought it would probably be difficult to get a good enough seal given the problems a lot of brewers report sealing their fermenters enough to get their air locks bubbling.

Ive been thinking about this again after reading this thread http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/81002-cleer-beer-pozible-project-conical-fermenter-bottle-lid-thoughts/ I'm thinking it wouldn’t be that difficult to seal after all if a better sealing ring or somthing was used, the ones that come with the lids aren’t great.

The cone could be stainless steel and fitted with a Tri clamp. It would be relatively cheap to manufacture ship and post. Plastic fermenters are already easily available to most brewers.

This wouldn’t make a perfect conical but a very affordable alternative. Any thoughts anyone?

Thoughts:
Cool!
How would you get the Wort in? there isn't a big enough hole for both incoming wort and a breather at the top.
i would clamp the cone on instead of screw. have it slip over the threads, and clamp with a seal in the space between the thread and main body of fermenter.
There are several size fermenter lids...

You could get the wort in a 30L before attaching the cone then tip it upside down in the frame if you didn’t have a pump. This would probably be a bit cumbersome with a 60L.

If you have a pump you could pump in through the bottom same as a normal conical.

All the common fermenters I’ve seen and used all look the same size and the lid is the same size on the 30L and 50L is this not the case? I know the Bunnings ones are different but I was thinking the home brew shop ones.

I should clarify not all conical fermenters are sealed and filled from the bottom but the ones in the local micro brewery where I have helped a brewer friend a few times are.

We pumped the wort through the chiller in to the fermenter. Thinking about it if you did this you would need to aerate the wort or use dried yeast but could easily unscrew the top tap and drop an air stone through the hole.

The 25L and 30L have different lids from my research,
Alot of people will either have the 25 or 30L. AFIK the 60 and 30L have the same lids.

Ok well in that case you would need to buy the right fermenter also. I assumed the 30L and 60L were common and widespread. I’ve bought 30L fermenters from LHBS and 60L water butts from aussie Disposals and the lids are interchangeable.

Edit: I’m fairly sure the ones I’m using are quite common, they look the same as most of the fermenter pictures people post on this site.
I suppose the cone could be made to fit a bunnings fermenter but the shoulders at the opening would catch a lot more yeast so wouldn't be as suitable.

Maybe it would be easier and cheaper to make the cone plastic?

Another thought, how about a conversion kit to convert a 50L keg to a conical?

Angle grind the top off a keg just below the handles, drill a hole in the bottom to fit a ball valve or something to attach a blow off (the bottom of the keg will become the top of the conical) clamp the cone to the other/open end? Maybe a sight tube fitted also.

I would be concerned about the flat ridge or shoulders of the vessel below the lid.

Cut off the bottom and apply cling wrap.

Apart from that, I have mocked up an autistic impression of the concept:
ConFerm- 30.png

From a purely numbers point, i can see more people jumping at a reasonably priced cone attachment for a 30-60L fermenter than a keg that you need to operate on.
first of all, you need to acquire a keg... legally is not all that cheap or easy from my understanding... whereas i would guess 90%+ people here have a 30L fermenter.

You would have the advantage of extra capacity!
but the capacity markings on the fermenter would be way off...

Les the Weizguy said:
I would be concerned about the flat ridge or shoulders of the vessel below the lid.

Cut off the bottom and apply cling wrap.

Apart from that, I have mocked up an autistic impression of the concept:
attachicon.gif
ConFerm- 30.png
Yes that’s what I had in mind. :) I had thought of some yeast catching on the shoulders and also the indented handles which is what i meant by it wouldn’t be a perfect conical in my op.

n87 said:
From a purely numbers point, i can see more people jumping at a reasonably priced cone attachment for a 30-60L fermenter than a keg that you need to operate on.
first of all, you need to acquire a keg... legally is not all that cheap or easy from my understanding... whereas i would guess 90%+ people here have a 30L fermenter.
Lots of people already convert kegs for kettles, mash tuns and HLTs though. I have a keg with the top cut off as I described that I am converting to a mash tun. It feels pretty sturdy, i think it would take a clamp on cone and wouldn’t have the issues with yeast catching on the sholders like a plastic fermenter.

n87 said:
You would have the advantage of extra capacity!
but the capacity markings on the fermenter would be way off...
Yes you would need re do the capacity markings but that would be easy on the plastic, a keg could be fitted with a sight tube.

S.E said:
Yes that’s what I had in mind. :) I had thought of some yeast catching on the shoulders and also the indented handles which is what i meant by it wouldn’t be a perfect conical in my op.
If your plan is to make a perfect conical... you would start from scratch or just buy one already made.

i dont see the handle molds being a problem, most are tapered so most yeast/trub would fall off.
the shoulders wont be a 'problem'... they will catch a certain amount of the trub... but the amount compared to a regular flat bottom.
rough calculations make the shoulders ~20% of the regular surface area. so it may not be a perfect conical, but it is still saving upwards of 60% trub surface area and adding the benefit of being able to remove 90% of the trub half way along (given that most of the trub would fall off the shoulders).

Pro's/con's:
Plastic Fermenter
Pros:
Everyone's got one
clamp or screw design would be uber easy to install, uninstall and clean
lighter
Cons:
Shoulder holds trub
harder to get a seal

Keg
Pros:
robust design, less chance of leaks
all metal
Cons:
need to be able to cut open a keg (some people shouldn't be let near an angle grinder)
not many people have a spare
ease of legally acquiring a keg
cost for said keg (?)

Yep I pretty much agree with all your points, I didn’t mean to try making a perfect conical but a simple and cheap conversion that would tick most of the boxes.
Perhaps a plastic cone for plastic fermenters would be the way to go.

The sample tap/outlet in Les the weizguy's drawing would be a bit fragile in plastic though so perhaps there should just be a threaded hole to take a standard fermenter tap.

I think a cone for kegs would be popular too though and probably easier/cheaper to produce. Legal second hand kegs are cheap and aren’t that difficult to get hold of. Keg King sell new kegs for around $100.00 so should work out a lot cheaper than a purpose built ss conical.

a standard tap on the side and a decent valve on the bottom would be fine if your making it from plastic.

i would be happy to be a guinnea pig for your inventions :)

I used a conical bottom 30 lt tank from Rotomold in WA. Here is the thread on what I did. http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/72107-my-conical-fermenter/

It works fantastic! Once it is sealed and yeast pitched, the wort does never see any "air". Right through to filling the kegs!

I have put an average of a brew a month through it and have had no dramas at all.

Cheers

Joe

j-dunn said:
I used a conical bottom 30 lt tank from Rotomold in WA. Here is the thread on what I did. http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/72107-my-conical-fermenter/

It works fantastic! Once it is sealed and yeast pitched, the wort does never see any "air". Right through to filling the kegs!

I have put an average of a brew a month through it and have had no dramas at all.

Cheers

Joe
[SIZE=11pt]That looks good. How much did the basic Rotomold fermenter cost? [/SIZE]

Back