Conical Bling Bling!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thebigwilk

Reaction score
So i made the mistake of browsing ebay came arcoss these conical stainless fermenters being brewing for about ten years now doesn't look like im going to stop soon, slowly upgrading equipment got the kegerator last year still coping grief from the mrs about the coin i rolled to get that, i keep on trying to tell her its supposed to be healthy to have a hobby!! (usally arguing my point with a brew in the hand :beerbang: ) any way still using crappy plastic fermenters i got back in the day with my first beer kits , back then all mates said you should have a go at brewing your own beer you will save heaps of money? any way the brew didnt taste so good back then and i didnt have clue what i was doing, now im all grain brewing and its tasting great so its full steam ahead. The question i have is many of you guys had much experience with these stainless conicals i have been looking for a while at them these ones seem to have a few extra things on them whats the pros and cons is worth taking that next step?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/14-5-Gallon-Sta...c#ht_500wt_1361

So i made the mistake of browsing ebay came arcoss these conical stainless fermenters being brewing for about ten years now doesn't look like im going to stop soon, slowly upgrading equipment got the kegerator last year still coping grief from the mrs about the coin i rolled to get that, i keep on trying to tell her its supposed to be healthy to have a hobby!! (usally arguing my point with a brew in the hand :beerbang: ) any way still using crappy plastic fermenters i got back in the day with my first beer kits , back then all mates said you should have a go at brewing your own beer you will save heaps of money? any way the brew didnt taste to so good back then and i didnt have clue what i was doing, now im all grain brewing and its tasting great so its full steam ahead. The question i have is many of you guys had much experience with these stainless conicals i have been looking for a while at them these ones seem to have a few extra things on them whats the pros and cons is worth taking that next step?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/14-5-Gallon-Sta...c#ht_500wt_1361

Would you belive i was just looking at the same thing dreaming good luck talking the mrs around mate

The advantage is the convinience of easily being able to extract the yeast cake.

Oh they look a lot better too, thays about it.

I could swear that was $850 opening bid, $950 buy it now earlier today?
Very expensive for what it is, a big bloody bucket with ole in t'bottom. Shiny though.
I'd rate it below plenty of other 'upgrades' you could make but I don't have one so...

Everyone has got to dream and I would sure love to buy one one day but it has always been at the bottom of my list as I think there are a lot more necessary things out their that I could buy that would actually improve my beer rather than just look good and help with the collecting of yeast.

but with all that aside I still really really want one NOW..... :icon_drool2:

The advantage is the convinience of easily being able to extract the yeast cake.

Oh they look a lot better too, thays about it.

The theory behind the conical shape is that it directs the little yeasties back up into the middle of the fermenter keeping the yeast in suspension and therefore more viable for longer, which leads to greater rates of attenuation and more effecient ferments. But damn they do look pretty sexy :icon_drool2:

I too drool over these things, I would spend hours looking at it if i owned one

I Have tried to justify the price, but still cant do it.....As someone else said, the money can be spent upgrading elsewhere

But, have a look at Keg King, they are fantastic to deal with, I bought some of my keg set up from them, Plus, they would deliver it for free (in capital cities)

www.kegking.com.au

They have both sizes too, and lots of other stainless bling to go with it

Ian

I could swear that was $850 opening bid, $950 buy it now earlier today?
Very expensive for what it is, a big bloody bucket with ole in t'bottom. Shiny though.
I'd rate it below plenty of other 'upgrades' you could make but I don't have one so...

Agree.
Cons- If u are thinking of doing 50ltr batches then this will be too small. Not enough heaf space
- New cost is a lot of money compared to other brewery items. Look second hans.
- they are cumbersome to move or include in feidge for temp control
- Often need to use gas to force last part of brew into bottling bucket or kegs unless it is on really high legs. Position of racking arm will dictate this.

Pros - easy to remove trub and harvest yeast. Allows u to condition/ secondary in the same vessel. This ia also a con aa u have the conical tied up wih one beer for longer than normal.

Thats about all i can think of at the moment

Cheers

It would be cool if they made them out of glass or maybe perspex, then you could drain the entire contents of your kettle into to the fermenter and then easily suck out the hotbreak before you pitch your yeast.

Back