Conditioning

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wbosher

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I've done by first ag (BIAB) brew and have a question on conditioning.

Normally with the kit beers I would leave in the fermenter for two weeks and then bottle, assuming FG was stable. With AG, should I do anything different? Leave an extra week or something, or just do the same - two weeks and bottle, once again assuming that FG is stable?

I don't rack to secondary, all in the primary.

Cheers

Hi guys,

I've done by first ag (BIAB) brew and have a question on conditioning.

Normally with the kit beers I would leave in the fermenter for two weeks and then bottle, assuming FG was stable. With AG, should I do anything different? Leave an extra week or something, or just do the same - two weeks and bottle, once again assuming that FG is stable?

I don't rack to secondary, all in the primary.

Cheers

Do as you did.

I may not have made that really clear, I always use a hydrometer. I was just wndering if AG brews (in general) need longer conditioning time in the fermenter after FG has been stable for a few days, than kit beers do.

I disagree completely. Never assume FG has been reached. Hydrometer - use it.

Definitely wait until you have consistent hydrometer readings over at least 3 days.

Also don't disregard the benefits of bulk cold conditioning.

If you can rack the beer off the yeast cake into another container and let it sit in the fridge for a week or two before bottling it will improve quicker than if you bottle immediately.

Plus you get way less sediment in the bottles.

Definitely wait until you have consistent hydrometer readings over at least 3 days.

Also don't disregard the benefits of bulk cold conditioning.

If you can rack the beer off the yeast cake into another container and let it sit in the fridge for a week or two before bottling it will improve quicker than if you bottle immediately.

Plus you get way less sediment in the bottles.

I don't really have the ability to CC as I don't have a spare fridge, and wifey won't let me get another one :(

With my last kit beer, I put it into a tub of ice water for a few days once FG had been stable for a few days. It got as low as about 7 degrees at night, not sure if it really made anydifference but the beer was crystal clear. Stirred it up a little when I lifted it out so that I could get to the tap, but it settled back again pretty quickly.

Ok, so basically I don't really need to do anything different with AG than I was doing with kit beers, right?

Ferment...FG stable for a few days...leave in fermenter for about another week...bottle.

I don't really have the ability to CC as I don't have a spare fridge, and wifey won't let me get another one :(

With my last kit beer, I put it into a tub of ice water for a few days once FG had been stable for a few days. It got as low as about 7 degrees at night, not sure if it really made anydifference but the beer was crystal clear. Stirred it up a little when I lifted it out so that I could get to the tap, but it settled back again pretty quickly.

Ok, so basically I don't really need to do anything different with AG than I was doing with kit beers, right?

Ferment...FG stable for a few days...leave in fermenter for about another week...bottle.

Do as you did before. Make sure your FG is stable, leave for a few more days and bottle.

Putting in a tub of ice water isn't going to to anything, it needs an extended period of time at fairly cold temps to have an effect.

AG fermentation and packaging isn't really any different to kit fermentation and packaging, it is just the process of making wort that is different.

Back