Conditioning followed by dry hopping

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gto625

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've been brewing for a while but am just starting to play with more complex brews involving processes I'm not overly familiar with. My next brew which will be going on tonight is for a double red ipa (time to see first hand how the Grainfather really goes with an 8.5kg grain bill) but the recipe calls for 9 weeks of conditioning with dry hopping for the last 10 days.

This will be the first time I've attempted such a long conditioning process - usually I crash cool, keg, force carb and (despite my best intentions) drink before the beer is likely to be at it's best.

My plan is still to crash cool in primary then move to keg for the conditioning. I've done some reading on this, and my initial plan was to simply purge the keg and leave it in the keezer for the whole conditioning time then open and add the hops when the time comes - I figure this should result in a nice clear beer as it's essentially a 9 week crash cool, but I also know that dry hopping is not as effective in cold beer.

So what would be the best option? Condition in the keg for the first 7 weeks in the keezer, remove and allow to come to room temp for a couple of days, dry hop for the last 10 days, rack to a new keg and chill again?

Any advice is appreciated.

Cheers.

Latest posts

Back