Computer Fan In A Chest Freezer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Guys,

What on earth is going on with this thread??

I have been using a chest freezer for my kegs for the last 8 years. Never used a computer fan ;) and my beer is cold (cool air falls and that is where your beer is served, the bottom of a keg).

Only computer nerds who have no idea of the brewing process would suggest you need a computer fan to cool your kegs. What a waste of electricity!!!

cheers

Darren

Love it ;)
But if it's not keeping an even temperture Darren,you'll die of stickadicktome !

Batz

Hey Guys,

What on earth is going on with this thread??

I have been using a chest freezer for my kegs for the last 8 years. Never used a computer fan ;) and my beer is cold (cool air falls and that is where your beer is served, the bottom of a keg).

cheers

Darren

:icon_offtopic: OK I will go out on a limb here and agree with Darren. I have been using a small chest freezer for near on three years and have never had a problem with my beer being warm. The chest freezer is in my shed. The shed temp can get up to around 50c + in the summer. IMHO I think its some extra bling that "I" don't see a need for.

BYB

Love it ;)
But if it's not keeping an even temperture Darren,you'll die of stickadicktome !

Batz

Does it matter if not keeping even temperature?? Its the bottom of the keg that is important. Computer fans in fridges seems counterintuitive to me.

cheers

darren

Hey Razz,

Fobbing?? Not sure what you mean!
Is it like blogging?

Computer fans in fridges are a waste of time.

cheers

Darren

OFF TOPIC

Thats what i hate about this forum some wankers get on here thinking they know everything and have to slam everything they think is wrong, everyone is welcome to there own opinion stop slaming people because you think you know everything.

BACK ON TOPIC

I only get foam with the first bit of the first pour which isnt a problem now as i have the fan in there now.

OFF TOPIC

Thats what i hate about this forum some wankers get on here thinking they know everything and have to slam everything they think is wrong, everyone is welcome to there own opinion stop slaming people because you think you know everything.

BACK ON TOPIC

I only get foam with the first bit of the first pour which isnt a problem now as i have the fan in there now.

OK
Your lines too short

Batz

Yeah it is funny about the posters who come on here having made their first all-grain 6 months ago and think they know it all..

Perhaps you could explain why my taps don't foam and i don't have a fan in my fridge??

cheers

darren

Batz my lines are 3 metres long. I dont have this problem any more due to my fan.

Darren alot of celi taps experience foam at 1st pour so i am guessing probably because you dont have celi taps

Darren alot of celi taps experience foam at 1st pour so i am guessing probably because you dont have celi taps

KHB,

Nah just some old pub taps. Pull the handle out comes the beer.

Do celi taps require special cooling??

cheers

Darren

A computer fan is not really necessary if you haven't fitted a collar, though it still helps.
But if you have a wooden collar then it's pretty imperative. Before I fitted a fan to my setup the lines at the top of the freezer were sat at 20c+ & I had terrible foaming issues. fitted the fan & not more than 1c difference in the entire freezer - perfect.

cheers ross

What a waste of electricity!!!

I think that's oversimplifying things a little. An 12V 80mm fan will use very little electricity (about a watt in the worst case; much less if you do things properly). By spreading the air around, particularly around the coolant lines, you'll easily save that much in the cost of running the freezer.

Aside from the electricity side of things, a lot of people use their fridges for fermentation, too. Without a fan, my freezer temperature bounces all over the place. The fan helps keep things a bit more consistent.

No-one's suggesting everyone should have a fan, but if you have the parts lying around and can throw the whole thing together in a few minutes, then why not? For people who are that way inclined and want to expand their knowledge a little, it's a cute little project.

I think that's oversimplifying things a little. An 12V 80mm fan will use very little electricity (about a watt in the worst case; much less if you do things properly). By spreading the air around, particularly around the coolant lines, you'll easily save that much in the cost of running the freezer.

Aside from the electricity side of things, a lot of people use their fridges for fermentation, too. Without a fan, my freezer temperature bounces all over the place. The fan helps keep things a bit more consistent.

No-one's suggesting everyone should have a fan, but if you have the parts lying around and can throw the whole thing together in a few minutes, then why not? For people who are that way inclined and want to expand their knowledge a little, it's a cute little project.

Quite a valid point.

:icon_offtopic: Now with that all being done and said can everyone stop feeding the trolls on this forum. Yes I am guilty of troll feeding but from this day I am drawing a line in the sand and giving it away. There are a very, very, small insecure lot that troll and we all as a community need to all draw the same line.

BYB

A computer fan is not really necessary if you haven't fitted a collar, though it still helps.
But if you have a wooden collar then it's pretty imperative. Before I fitted a fan to my setup the lines at the top of the freezer were sat at 20c+ & I had terrible foaming issues. fitted the fan & not more than 1c difference in the entire freezer - perfect.

cheers ross
+1

I also have one in my fermentation fridge. Would not cool anything without one.

Darren, pull your head in. Not everyone has the same issues, this works for some. Check the commercial fridges that have a whole bank of fans to keep the temperature evenly distributed. If it doesn't apply to you, don't do it.

Didn't you take your bat and ball and leave AHB a while ago? I seem to remember you saying something about that... anyway, (now where are my sarcasm tags??) welcome back.

To be fair, I suspect a fan would be a big consumer of electricity. Not to turn the blade obviously but to push cold air out of any seal imperfections/gas holes etc much faster than would occur just by convection.

Since putting the fan in my freezer I've noticed the time the freezer operates is less due to the whole volume of the freezer being at a similar temperature. 12v fan connected to a 7v phone charger, rotates fairly slowly but pushes a decent amount of air.

I have used a room freshener with a battery driven fan to circulate the air in my caravan fridge

The units with enclosed batteries are available from franklins , cannot for the life of me remember the brand

cost , about $8

but

I removed the perfume from the container ( which holds the batteries) and rinsed it with chlorine to get rid of any odour .

the unit cycles on and off with either of two settings , last time I used it was still going after 3 months

cannot be more help until I go up the street

Rod

I've ordered and gunna fit one of these babies to my new fermenting fridge

It even comes with it's own mounting frame and @ $5.30 delivered, you can't go wrong, can you? :huh:

FN10_02.jpg

EBAY LINKY

Latest posts

Back