Computer Fan In A Chest Freezer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KHB

All Grain All The Time
Reaction score
Just wondering how you guys hook these up to run when fridgemate turns on. Would it be as easy as hooking up to a mobile phone charger and put that into a double adapter with the fridge mate??

KHB

Sounds like the easy option to me.

However I think the idea is to have the whole area the same temp all the time...so you would want the fan running 24/7...some have them set up with a switch so that when you open the lid they switch off so you dont draw in outside air.

Hope this makes sense.

Pok

It all depends on the max current (A) and voltage (V) of the fan vs the phone charger.

Most PC fans are designed to run full-speed @ 12V. Max current draw in Amps is unique to each fan, but should be printed on the sticker on the fan hub.

In most cases you can run a fan at less than 12V. This would generally reduce the speed of the fan. Too low a voltage (sub 5V usually) and the fan may not have enough power (and therefore torque) to start spinning when power is applied.

A phone charger that outputs 7-12V DC, with at least the amperage of your fan, would be ideal.
A 5v phone charger would be pushing it.

I wouldn't bother running the fan the whole time either. It does a reasonable-enough job to only run when the compressor kicks in, plus you save power.
If you're electrically inclined, a switch to disable the fan when the lid opens would be a nice-to-have, but you could always manually switch the fan off before you open the lid.

HTH,
Tim

Just wondering how you guys hook these up to run when fridgemate turns on. Would it be as easy as hooking up to a mobile phone charger and put that into a double adapter with the fridge mate??

KHB

Yes,
I have one set up this way, works fine.
Cheers,
bud

I have an upright fridge that i am putting a fun into. Does it matter where the fan is located in the fridge? eg top-back

I think the safest place is mounted under the lid, someone on here has theirs mounted that way. That way it's out of the way and not likely to get knocked.

I have an upright fridge that i am putting a fun into. Does it matter where the fan is located in the fridge? eg top-back

Just put it somewhere near the top so that the warmer air is circulated with the cooler air at the bottom

KHB

Err, nope I don't have mine hooked up the the fridgemate.

I've got mine hooked up to a simple mechanical microswitch fitted to the door. When the door is closed the fan runs, when the door is opened the fan turns off. I did this because I thought that I didn't want all that nice cool air being blown out of the freezer when I had the door open replacing it with hot moist air.

Simple, but effective.

gary.

Err, nope I don't have mine hooked up the the fridgemate.

I've got mine hooked up to a simple mechanical microswitch fitted to the door. When the door is closed the fan runs, when the door is opened the fan turns off. I did this because I thought that I didn't want all that nice cool air being blown out of the freezer when I had the door open replacing it with hot moist air.

Simple, but effective.

gary.

Looking to do this to where about do i get one from

Looking to do this to where about do i get one from

Any elec supplier should have them. Just go to your local DSE store and get one. Should cost about $2 at the most for a small one. You don't need anything special, you're just switching a small load here.

gary

I have my computer fan set up on the collar of the kegerator, and it switches on at the same time as the freezer, didnt want to have it running 24/7.

I did the double adaptor trick and it seems to work very well, about the only addition I might make is to have it able to be switched off when I have the freezeer lid open, but this doesn't happen too often, so it might not be such a big deal.

The fan makes a huge difference, I now don't have temperature differentials in the freezer, so a thermometer in the bottom of the freezer reads the same as one at the top, so now I don't experience kegs that are warmer at the top and frozen down the bottom any more.

Definitely a worthy investment, however you set it to run.

Crundle

Where abouts does everyone place there probe in the freezer??

The probe for my kegerator is up on the collar at the back, to the side of the fan. As long as the fan will circulate the air occasionally, it shouldn't matter where it is.

ok cool

Also even with the fan my celi taps get foam, does eny one else get this as my other taps dont

Foam could be due to the system not being balanced properly - pressure low/high, beer line short/long.

Not sure about the Celli taps, I have those cheap ones off Ebay and only a little foam from the first pour, then everything is fairly cold and pours well.

Do the Celli taps have a fair bit of metal in them that may take longer to cool down when pouring? I guess I am asking, do you get continual foam, or does it settle down after the first pour? If it is continual I would say it is not balanced right, but if only the first pour, then it is jsut the taps needing to cool down closer to the beer temperature.

Hope this helps.

ok cool

Also even with the fan my celi taps get foam, does eny one else get this as my other taps dont

OK I am no expert on celi's,but I believe they can be a PITA,I asked to have a little play with one once and was told a very firm no!
I think you set them and don't touch again,bit like the colour on your TV.

Hides under a hop flower from celi owners.

Batz

Here's a micro swtich like what you want for the fan

While we're on the subject and not to far of topic. I dropped my 12v fan today and broke it. I'm off to get a new one tomorrow. i though I would put in a switch so it will turn off when I open the freezer. The switch that KGB mentioned is rated at 125v 5A. Is this suitable for a 12v fan and power supply ?

Hey Guys,

What on earth is going on with this thread??

I have been using a chest freezer for my kegs for the last 8 years. Never used a computer fan ;) and my beer is cold (cool air falls and that is where your beer is served, the bottom of a keg).

Only computer nerds who have no idea of the brewing process would suggest you need a computer fan to cool your kegs. What a waste of electricity!!!

cheers

Darren

Latest posts

Back