Computer Display Brewing Temps.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Andrew said:
Only problem is i dont wanna run an extra pc. trying to cut down on power usage.

Actually, that's something I have wondered about...how much power/cost does an old computer running 24 hours a day use? Any idea anyone?

Well these days a typical pc power supply is 400W or thereabouts. Given you wont be running a large vid card or anoy other crap. Wont have DVD's spinning i think it would run @ maybe 140W or so. Ive pulled the number out of the air kinda, but is around where i think it would be. So running 24/7 would be
140*24*7*52 = 1223 kWh
paying approximately 14c/kWh = $171
Just something to think about for the system. You may be better with some form of programmable controller which has a memory function so you can download temps and plot the data. I know a lot of the ones ive seen advertised have advertised about the 10VA usage mark. So about 7% of using a pc. If it costs a little more to set up you save it in your first 12 months of power bills anyway.

OK, has anyone here managed to get the programme working for XP? I'm very interested in getting this going on my computer, but it has XP on it!

Cheers,
Dave

OK, has anyone here managed to get the programme working for XP? I'm very interested in getting this going on my computer, but it has XP on it!

Cheers,
Dave

If the software runs on windoze 98, then is it not fair to assume that it runs on windoze XP? :blink:

Read more, post less ???????

A quick update... and a totally blatant plug... we still use this temp monitoring program for our pilot brewing rig, but to control ferments you can save yourself a lot of money and stuffing about by using one of Brissybrew's Mashmasters. We now even use them to control the glycol solenoids for 22.5 HL fermenters and are about to do the same for our conditioning tanks.

Earlier I wrote in this thread we would be open for easter... tell him he's dreaming! Fingers crossed for September. :unsure:

Cheers!

Hi All

You can download my software from here. It's pretty basic, but it works for me. Run the setup program and you should be right to go. The only limitations at the moment are you have to have the relay controller in lpt1 and the temperature sensor in COMM1 (although you can change the comm number from within the registry).

I have had it running successfully on all windows versions from 98 to XP (currently have it running on XP). It runs my fermentation fridge, my keg fridge and my HLT. One day I will hook it up to the pump and mash tun to automate my HERM system.

If you have any troubles with it, PM me and I'll try and sort you out.

Cheers
Bagnol

Cheers,
Dave

If the software runs on windoze 98, then is it not fair to assume that it runs on windoze XP? :blink:

Read more, post less ???????

Well, that's not really the case- I tried to load C&C red alert and a window opened up saying 'this will only run on windows 98'

Hi All

You can download my software from here. It's pretty basic, but it works for me. Run the setup program and you should be right to go. The only limitations at the moment are you have to have the relay controller in lpt1 and the temperature sensor in COMM1 (although you can change the comm number from within the registry).

I have had it running successfully on all windows versions from 98 to XP (currently have it running on XP). It runs my fermentation fridge, my keg fridge and my HLT. One day I will hook it up to the pump and mash tun to automate my HERM system.

If you have any troubles with it, PM me and I'll try and sort you out.

Cheers
Bagnol

Hi guys, this links its broken, any body have this soft? thanks.

Hi guys, this links its broken, any body have this soft? thanks.

Try here.

I have made a few changes to the program since I created the setup file. When I get some spare time, I'll post an updated one.

Cheers
Bagnol

Try here.

I have made a few changes to the program since I created the setup file. When I get some spare time, I'll post an updated one.

Cheers
Bagnol

Can you also post a link to a zipfile of source? I run four of these DS18S20 using USB devices, but the drivers they provided do not allow for triggering four temperature readings one after another and then coming back and testing whether the reading is ready, I have to start a reading and hang around and wait till its done, really makes the program run slow!

What language is it written in? I am proficient at VB, but anything else is a bit of a stretch.

Latest posts

Back