Compost/Worm Farming

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sic_vl

Reaction score
Hi Brewers
Just got a question for any gardeners on here. I know its probably a very random question.
does any one know if its ok to put used boiled grains, including crystal malt and hops into worm farms?

We have a community worm farm at the villas where I live. Little buggers love the grains but don't put in kilos and kilos as they can ferment / rot / heat up - just a few handfuls at a time. I don't know if they like hops, you aren't supposed to give them anything too spicy like garlic or chillies, I'd tend not to give them the hops.

I'd be more curious about how you're using boiled grains in your beer...

Thanks for that Bribie G. I'll add a little and see how they like it. I'll just leave the hops out.

My worms love the grain but will not eat the husks due to the silica content. As Bribe said to much will compost and heat up not a problem in a large bed but in the black plastic worm farm certain death to the worms.

Cheers

My worms get grain and hops, haven't noticed any issues from the hops being in there too.

I dump the whole batch worth of grain, etc. into a bin which lives next to the worm farm then when I drop food scraps in the worm farm I'll put a layer of grain out of the bin on top. The grain can get a bit stinky after a couple of weeks so I try to get through it fairly quickly and make sure I've got some worm farm conditioner on hand to sprinkle over when I put a layer in.

I have a fairly large worm farm (250l I think) so on the smaller farms having a whole batch worth of grain waiting to go in might be a bit excessive.

i also throw mine straight on the compost after the mash, throw yeast cake in there too, seems to be fine.

Yeast cake goes around the bushes and scuffed into the mulch, hasn't killed anything yet.

Back