Quantcast

Compost/Worm Farming

Aussie Home Brewer

Help Support Aussie Home Brewer:

sic_vl

Reaction score
Hi Brewers
Just got a question for any gardeners on here. I know its probably a very random question.
does any one know if its ok to put used boiled grains, including crystal malt and hops into worm farms?

Bribie G

Adjunct Professor
Reaction score
We have a community worm farm at the villas where I live. Little buggers love the grains but don't put in kilos and kilos as they can ferment / rot / heat up - just a few handfuls at a time. I don't know if they like hops, you aren't supposed to give them anything too spicy like garlic or chillies, I'd tend not to give them the hops.

bum

Not entitled to an opinion
Reaction score
I'd be more curious about how you're using boiled grains in your beer...

sic_vl

Reaction score
Thanks for that Bribie G. I'll add a little and see how they like it. I'll just leave the hops out.

roverfj1200

Reaction score
My worms love the grain but will not eat the husks due to the silica content. As Bribe said to much will compost and heat up not a problem in a large bed but in the black plastic worm farm certain death to the worms.

Cheers

dashippers

Reaction score
My worms get grain and hops, haven't noticed any issues from the hops being in there too.

I dump the whole batch worth of grain, etc. into a bin which lives next to the worm farm then when I drop food scraps in the worm farm I'll put a layer of grain out of the bin on top. The grain can get a bit stinky after a couple of weeks so I try to get through it fairly quickly and make sure I've got some worm farm conditioner on hand to sprinkle over when I put a layer in.

I have a fairly large worm farm (250l I think) so on the smaller farms having a whole batch worth of grain waiting to go in might be a bit excessive.

DarkFaerytale

Fuggle Abuse
Reaction score
i also throw mine straight on the compost after the mash, throw yeast cake in there too, seems to be fine.

Bribie G

Adjunct Professor
Reaction score
Yeast cake goes around the bushes and scuffed into the mulch, hasn't killed anything yet.

Latest posts