Competition Guidelines

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

big d

Hopaholic
Reaction score
what gives with comp guidelines?
i entered an octoberfest in the melbourne brewers comp in the catergory of pale continental lager and placed 23 out of 24.no probs with that but upon opening the complete results i find everyone else that has entered an octoberfest has placed there enteries under dark lager/ale.
forgive me if im wrong but whos right and whos wrong?
reason being is ive entered same beer in the bathurst comp but there guidelines are straight forward.octoberfest comes under pale continental lager.
anyway point being is that i guess i entered the right beer in the wrong class in melbourne brewers comp and i suffered beacause of it.learning curve at cost.

for those that have entered comps do you find that the catergories vary between comps?

very curious but will continue to enter and get it right next time :lol:

cheers
big d

Yep.... They tend to be grouped slightly differently.

Things like Kolsch, Oktoberfest/Marzen & Steam beers are always worth a double check. AABC Categories & Styles seem to be being taken up by most comp organisers in recent times which is good....

www.aaba.asn.au/guides/styles.pdf

Asher for now

Big d sorry for the confusion. Historically we have compressed the number of categories which was originally to help manage the whole comp.

We are going to completely review Beerfest for 2006.

big d,

Categories definitely alter between comps.
Personally I consider Oktoberfest to be a dark lager, but this can be a misnoma as a pale Oktoberfest still fits the style categorisation.

Doc

cheers guys.something i will have to get my head around.no doubt a bit more research on my behalf.all part of the learning curve.

cheers
big d

Back