Commercial Pilsners

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sluggerdog

Beer In Here
Reaction score
Hey All,

Before I started HB I thought there was only one type of Pilsner however now I have learnt there is more (3.. am I correct?)

Anyway I was interested to know what type of comercial beers would fit within each category so I have an idea of what I would like to try and copy....

If anyone kows some comercial beers that would fit into the following categories that would be great.

Thanks
SD

Bohemian
- Pilsner Urquell

German

American

==================
SIDE NOTE: Some commercial Pilsners I have tried are:

James Squire, Matlida Bay, Becks, Stella, Anchor, Trumer, Tuborg, San Miguel, Bitang, Labatt Blue, Hansa Pils
==================

Im no expert, but I think the main difference between german and bohemian pils are the hops. Germans use german hops like hallertauer etc, while the czechs use saaz. Im sure theres other differences, but I dont know them. So at a guess, Id say stuff like Becks is german, while the matilda bay would be bohemian. Dunno about the rest of them. But I personally think labatt, hansa and san miguel dont even count as pilsners, theyre just macrocrap.

Bohemian
- Pilsner Urquell
- Matlida Bay bohemian

German
- Becks

American

Hi Sluggerdog
Here is some info from BeerSmith

Bohemian Pilsner
Pilsner

Type: Lager
Category Number: 2B
Original Gravity: 1.044-1.056 SG
Color: 6.9-11.8 EBC
Final Gravity: 1.013-1.017 SG Bitterness: 35.0-45.0 IBU
Carbonation: 2.3-2.6 vols Alcohol by Volume: 4.2-5.4 %
Description: Famous beer from Pilsen, Czech Republic. Brewed with very soft water and high hop rates. Crisp, complex and well rounded.
Profile: Light to medium body with some sweetness. Saaz hop flavor and aroma, but no lingering bitterness. Clean flavor, low diacetyls. Hoppy and malty with no aftertaste.
Ingredients: Saaz hops, light pilsner malt, Czech pilsner yeast, soft (low sulfate) water profile. Morovian malt and decoction add to malt character.
Examples: Budvar, Pilsner Urquell, Gambrinus Pilsner, Czech Rebel

German Pilsner (Pils)
Pilsner

Original Gravity: 1.044-1.050 SG
Color: 3.9-9.9 EBC
Final Gravity: 1.008-1.013 SG Bitterness: 25.0-45.0 IBU
Carbonation: 2.4-2.8 vols Alcohol by Volume: 4.4-5.2 %
Description: Drier and crisper than Bohemian Pilsner with a bitterness that tends to linger dur to high-sulfate water. Lighter in body and color with high carbonation.
Profile: Medium body. Dry, clean, crisp flavor with high hop bitterness. Low malt aroma and flavor. Low to medium body. Noble hops bouquet. Straw to light gold color. Clear with white head.
Ingredients: Water with moderate sulfates enhances hop falvor. German noble hops. Pilsner malt and German lager yeast.
Examples: Bitburger, Warsteiner, Koenig Pilsener, Jever Pils, Spaten Pils, Brooklyn Pilsner

Classic American Pilsner
Pilsner

Original Gravity: 1.044-1.060 SG
Color: 5.9-11.8 EBC
Final Gravity: 1.010-1.015 SG Bitterness: 25.0-40.0 IBU
Carbonation: 2.5-2.7 vols Alcohol by Volume: 4.5-6.0 %
Description: A rare pre-prohibition beer style brewed in the US that has enjoyed a resurgence in the micro-brewery boom of the last decade. Malty six-row barley beer with offsetting hop rate.
Profile: Medium to full body beer, balanced malt and hop flavors. Medium to high malt flavor, moderate hop aroma. Color is golden.
Ingredients: American six-row barley, American Hops, up to 20-30% corn or rice to reduce haze from six-row barley. Native hops such as Clusters, noble variants are appropriate. Low to med mineral content water.
Examples: Brewpub and microbrewery specials.

Latest posts

Back