Commercial Mash Schedules

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SJW

As you must brew, so you must drink
Reaction score
Does anyone have an example or know first hand what type of mash schedule a full on commercial brewery would use? Lagers or Ales.
All-grain brewers are aware that Beta and Alpha Amylase enzymes break the chains of glucose that form starch, but im trying to figure out what happens in the real world. With a commercial breweries setup im sure they don't do a simple single step infusion mash.... or do they.
Even with my BM im experimenting with a long rest (60min) at 60 deg C and a short rest (30min) at 70 deg C with a 15min mashout at 76 deg C.As Beta Amylase is slower acting that Alpha this schedule has been giving me good fermenting worts.
One question I have is......would an extended mash (2 or 3 hours) in the Beta range (60 deg C) fully convert the mash? ie does the Beta Amylase just keep nibbling off the ends of the glucose chain producing maltose to the point where the Alpha would make little difference? Information I have read suggests that Beta Amylase is slow working enough to still be active after 2 hours.
The more I type the more Im answering my own question. I guess even at 60 Deg C Alpha Amylase is still working but just not at its optimum range. Enzymes are not a light switch I guess.
So my original question is still.... What type of mash schedule do commercial breweries use?

Steve

Someone who brews beer for a living told me something similar. The high mash temp was to substitute for crystal malt from memory. It was a while ago and there was probably beers consumed at the time. But I remember thinking that sounded opposite to what you'd imagine.

Long low 60's rests are good for low finishing gravities and light bodied beers ( especially in plain grain bills ) I do them a bit for saison and midstrength quaffing lagers. 90mins at 62, then 72, then 76.

That's funny mje. I went out to Bluetongue Brewery when they were at Cameron Park, and I asked them what temp they mashed at and Im sure he said 70 deg C. But like you Ive consumed many beer since then and the ol grey matter is not what it used to be. I will check out the Linky.
Thanks

As I brew in a recirculating system (Braumeister) Im going to brew a test brew and start at tap temp, like I always do, and have the first step at 70 Deg C for 2 hours then mashout, and see what I end up with. The slow rise to 70 might be enough time for Beta Amylase to do some work.

Steve

The higher mash temps also make allowance for the watering down after ferment.

Yeah good point Brad. I got a few e-mails out to some Aussie Brewers and I'll see what, if anything, they come back with.

[SIZE=12pt]Hey I got a reply from Stone & Wood Brewing Co. I asked them this question.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Not sure if you can answer my question, but I am a home brewer and built several small 50L RIMS style Breweries. I am currently brewing on a 50L German Braumeister and making fine lagers and Ales. My question is…..do the commercial breweries mash similar to the way we do in at home. I.e., my lagers I step mash at 55, 60, 70 and mashout at 76 deg C. I have heard that some commercial brewers just single infusion at 70 deg C. with a nice slow temp rise maybe the Beta Amylase Enzymes would get some of the job done before being denatured.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]Without giving away any secrets I was just wondering as we never hear how you guys mash.[/SIZE]

And the reply.......

Hi Stephen,

Happy to provide some info. Without going into too much detail for our particular recipes, as I'm sure you can appreciate some confidentiality, I can confirm that we do use stepped temperature mash profiles in much the same manner as a home brewer. The exact temperatures and times for stands will vary according to brews and the fermentability that we aim to achieve, but your example provided is a classic example of a typical traditional stepped mash common to many breweries around the world. I can't talk for all the large scale breweries operating within Australia, but put simply, yes it is possible for breweries to use a single infusion style mash to achieve the specifications for their particular brews. As you mention, B-amylase enzymes can work during a slow temperature rise up to the saccharification stand, whilst it is also possible, if using adjuncts/commercial enzymes, to manipulate fermentability by addition of laboratory engineered heat-stable enzymes to offset any denaturation if mashing at higher temperatures. The choice will typically come down to the particular breweries considerations for product quality along side economic efficiency. I can comfortably say, however, that the vast majority of smaller "craft-style" brewers are typically operating a stepped mash profile with little or no adjunct addition.

I hope this answers your question.

[SIZE=10.5pt]Mitchell Pickford[/SIZE]
[SIZE=13.5pt]Stone & Wood Brewing Co[/SIZE]

Cool that you got a reply.

I've recently done a few golden ales. Pretty simple grist and just used my normal long low 60's rest, followed by short 70c rest before mash out. The more I do the long low rest, the more I like it. I like my beers on the dry/light bodied side though, even mild ales. The simple grain bill, long low rest and late hopping seem to work really well together.

If you've got a BM, why not push it really far, like a 3 hour rest at 60-62. Do it for a low gravity saison or something? Uber dry saison.

yup, that's the plan mje. It makes it easy on the BM. I got a Belgian Strong coming up soon on the brew list so I will give it a crack then.

Steve

Back