Commercial Keg Conversion

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonyt

Reaction score
Hi all,
Got a hold of a commercial keg. Has anyone converted one by cutting the top of corny and welding to top of the larger keg? After cutting the appropriate hole ofcourse.
Cheers

I've seen that done to be used as a fermenter. Perhaps googling Sanke keg conversion will lead you up the right path.

There was a bloke on here selling a 50ltr keg that had undergone a corny conversion as you describe only a few months ago. So it can be done.

No idea if they converted it themselves though - I can't find the post unfortunately.

I think I would just go and buy the coupler to use with those kegs.

I was looking at using the 50L v 19L kegs and it wasn't going to cost that much to get a coupler for them. Might also save the issue that if done incorrectly you wont have either the 50L keg or the 19L keg that you took the top off.

coupler for the 50ltr keg can usually be found on ebay for less than the price of a 19ltr keg CUT NOTHING sell the small keg and buy a coupler you will come out in front pretty much enough to make some beer for free.

cheers: HBK

rather than weld the whole corney on why not just the posts for the disconnects and dip tubes etc ?

that would seem easier to me

i think the idea behind it is the opening is bigger, making it easier to clean

rather than weld the whole corney on why not just the posts for the disconnects and dip tubes etc ?

that would seem easier to me

My main reason for using the whole top of corny.....and not using a coupler was for ease of cleaning and filling/emptying the large keg.
Cheers

It'd be cheaper and easier to just convert a commercial coupler to take the ball lock connections, even if it needed a stainless right angle for the liquid out.

Martin

Once you pull the guts out of a 50l keg they will take a 2" triclamp. That opens up a world of options.
You could just get a 2" endcap and drill to suit the gas and liquid posts.

There was a bloke on here selling a 50ltr keg that had undergone a corny conversion as you describe only a few months ago. So it can be done.

No idea if they converted it themselves though - I can't find the post unfortunately.
*in my best best jim carie, liar liar voice* it was me! It was a converted cub type keg
Larger opening isnt that much more useful for cleaning. So long as u use pbw etc its fine as is
I woukdnt cut up a cornie unless tge body was damaged beyond repair.
I bought it converted. If u do it urself u need to be able to stainless weld or get.it stainless weldwd to ensure food grade welds.

Just buy the coupler. Its not expensive. Yeah ok ur running 2 diff keg conection systems but there are a frw guys on here that do that. I prob wouldnt have sold my tooheys style 50L kegs and 19L kegs if I coulf go back in time.

thats the other thing to consider, is it cub or tooheys type keg? Tooheys type kegs are much easiier to use. U really wouldnt consider converting one of them.

Edit. Thats assuming youve legally obtained the keg etc etc

it was sitting on the footpath outside a club that went broke a while ago. So i assume it's legal? But yeh i know it still belongs to cub!

Ummmm, mate i'd have a look at what you've just written.

EDIT:
"Excuse me sir, about that kilo of cocaine on your kitchen table..."

"Oh that? No Officer, that's not mine. I found it...."

Ummmm, mate i'd have a look at what you've just written.

EDIT:
"Excuse me sir, about that kilo of cocaine on your kitchen table..."

"Oh that? No Officer, that's not mine. I found it...."

Yes but officer, it was sitting there all so lonely and was looking for a warm home? Maybe that line may work

Back