Commercial Font Fit With Km Series 3

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ces

Reaction score
hey guys,

i've done a quick search and read some discussion on the topic. From what i've read, fitting commercial gear with home brew kegging set ups is ok as long as you use above bar stuff (e.g. fonts, tap, handles etc.). so i'm about to purchase a kegmaster series 3 for my first steps into kegging. i would rather have a converted keezer but SWMBO has told me only the smaller, more purpose built looking kegerator will be allowed in the space i've wrangled out of her to put it in. anyway the question is...

i can get my hands on a second hand, 3 tap commercial font in that brass or gold finish for free but i'm not sure if it will be able to be fixed to the top of the kegerator. it's a t-type configuration, with a tower about 30 cm high. does anyone have experience attaching fonts to the tops of kegmaster series 3's that weren't designed to go on there? also, i plan to get some flow control perlick taps. will i need adapters to fit them to the commercial fonts (the font comes will the quick release tap locks)?

another question i have is about the state of the thing. it's in good nick in terms of any oxydisation but the od beer lines have just been cut off about 30 cm below the bottom of the tower. having not dealt with fonts before i don't know if its going to be a nightmare removing these old beer lines and fitting new ones. for example, how do you get to the shanks behinfd the taps at the end of the T?

anyway guys, i would really like some advice on this. could save quite a bit and i really like the look of it.

If you are able to do a bit of woodwork you can make some pretty impressive looking kegerators/keezers that would make your wife request for it to be in the best room in the house. It's just a matter of putting some sort of paneling/timber laminate/edgeing on the unit and giving it a nice stain.

Not that there is anything wrong with the keg king units, but home brewers tend to like putting things together themselves.

Some one did a pretty impressive keezer not too long ago with a stained timber exterior. If you have a search and find it a couple photos of it would surely convince your wife to reconsider (unless she has no confidence in your ability to do something similar)

i reco'd a 6 tap T shape font for my place, luckily it had 3 caps that unscrew as access holes for feeding the new beer line, its really not too bad of a job

hey guys,

i've done a quick search and read some discussion on the topic. From what i've read, fitting commercial gear with home brew kegging set ups is ok as long as you use above bar stuff (e.g. fonts, tap, handles etc.). so i'm about to purchase a kegmaster series 3 for my first steps into kegging. i would rather have a converted keezer but SWMBO has told me only the smaller, more purpose built looking kegerator will be allowed in the space i've wrangled out of her to put it in. anyway the question is...

i can get my hands on a second hand, 3 tap commercial font in that brass or gold finish for free but i'm not sure if it will be able to be fixed to the top of the kegerator. it's a t-type configuration, with a tower about 30 cm high. does anyone have experience attaching fonts to the tops of kegmaster series 3's that weren't designed to go on there? also, i plan to get some flow control perlick taps. will i need adapters to fit them to the commercial fonts (the font comes will the quick release tap locks)?

another question i have is about the state of the thing. it's in good nick in terms of any oxydisation but the od beer lines have just been cut off about 30 cm below the bottom of the tower. having not dealt with fonts before i don't know if its going to be a nightmare removing these old beer lines and fitting new ones. for example, how do you get to the shanks behinfd the taps at the end of the T?

anyway guys, i would really like some advice on this. could save quite a bit and i really like the look of it.

Hi Ces,
Without some pics of your font it is difficult to say exactly how it will fit into the top of the keggorator.
The commercial fonts are generally smaller in diameter than the one that is designed to fit the kegorator so you will have to make an adapter of some kind to fit it.
The kegorator will have a larger hole than what will be required for the commercial font and they attach entirely differently to each other.
If the lines that have been cut off are in good condition you can join them with s/steel barbed connectors and connect them to ball lock fittings and adjust the lenth of the lines to "balance" your system.
Commercial fonts can at times be a pain in the arse to replace the beer lines if you don't know exactly what you are doing. Andale used to offer to fit new beerlines at a price, of course.

A simpler way might be to use the tower that is meant to fit the kegorator and just fit quality commercial taps to it.
This simple mod will make a hell of a difference to the way the whole thing works.

Just a bit off topic but my suggestion would be to do a search on here for the modification to make the kegorator run colder by fitting a resistor across the ntc temp probe. Unless you have a passion for english style ales.

Cheers

Edit; here is the link

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...mp;#entry922361

great info guys.

thanks

Back