Commercial Brewers You Have Met

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rehab

Reaction score
Who have you guys met and learned awesome stuff from? I met Former Epic Brewer Kelly Ryan, as he has moved to my part of NZ, and he had some good stuff to say for beer fans and HBer's alike at any level. He had some great info that was a bit above me on Sanitisation. I think anyone on Starsan should feel safe though. He also had a few cool stories to tell.

At Beervana in 2010 I met the guys from Twisted Hop and we had a good conversation about hops.

Moi: "New Zealand hops are really popular with Aussie home brewers because, due to the clean and green certification, we can get hold of the hop flowers"

TH : "We use pellets at Twisted Hop"

:huh:

Well I still like the flowers, so there nyah booh.

Bill Taylor. Brewer, Gentleman, Scholar, Quick Witted, in no particular order.

met and had a chat with jamil in melbourne.(flamesuit on) my old man and myself were the silly buggers who did his biab interview for brewstrong.he was very helpfull in some of the issues i was having at the time.

Met Kai from White Rabbit at the Yarra Valley HB Comp 2 weeks ago. Good Bloke chatted about getting into brewing.
Once met a bloke who worked at two brothers. Not one of the brothers though. either way, douche.

The brewer at knapstein was happy to go into detail on their tour at the wine fest the other year once I said I was a brewer. Ended up in the fermenter room drinking it out of the jug. Very different before its filtered!
Cheers
Robbo

Wow, started a list. Posting it would have appeared as though name dropping. Over 20 commercial brewers accross WA, SA, VIC, NSW and QLD. Have always learned something talking with them. Most were very approachable, some most welcoming showing me around their breweries and offering advice.

The brewer at knapstein was happy to go into detail on their tour at the wine fest the other year once I said I was a brewer. Ended up in the fermenter room drinking it out of the jug. Very different before its filtered!
Cheers
Robbo

Similar experience when Peter Merrington was there early on.

Screwy

didnt actually meet the brewer ,but lobbed on the door step of emerson's in dunedin a couple of years back.
got the royal tour,heaps of info,piccies and drinking pots of their beers straight from the bright tanks at 9 in the morning.....
so damn good....cheers........spog.........

Haha name dropping eh....

I know a couple of local fellas who know how to brew a good beer, and are members of this very forum. But why name names... ;)

Scotty (above) and I got smashed with Ophelia Dick from the now defunct Shallow Throat Brewing once, Ulysses N Kurtz was there as well but he was so out of it he was saying his prayers backwards and still not sleeping....

K

I met the guy who came up with Victoria Bitter.

He couldn't say much to be though because he had no tongue.

Hayden from blue sky is great to chat to. Always there to support the HBers too.
Met the monkey wizard 'I put it in and stir it' guy in nz, awesome guy too, left a few bottles there for us to taste from :p

met grant from moody cow brewey and bailed him up for about 30 minutes chatting about beer stuff
also the brewer from old coast road brewery helped him with a fan belt for his brewery... got a free beer out of it

Pretty much every commercial brewer I have met I have found to be great people.

Great with advice, information, a yarn, and letting you have a stickybeak around their brewery.

Nice bunch of people you all are.

Might as well shout out to ///, Gough, Keith the Beer Guy, Taj, who I put in the above category who also are AHB members.

Scotty (above) and I got smashed with Ophelia Dick from the now defunct Shallow Throat Brewing once, Ulysses N Kurtz was there as well but he was so out of it he was saying his prayers backwards and still not sleeping....

K

Ophelia is quite feisty and has a firm grasp on things that is for sure ...

Some cool stories. One I remember from last night was that Kelly picked Thornbridge over my favourite UK brewery (Brewdog) and five other bigger breweries. Even though Thornbridge was quite small to start with he picked to go there and they won many many awards over the bigger breweries he could have gone to.
I don't mean to drop names but he was a really top bloke to meet and was more than happy to talk to a very amateur HB er like me.

At Beervana in 2010 I met the guys from Twisted Hop and we had a good conversation about hops.

Moi: "New Zealand hops are really popular with Aussie home brewers because, due to the clean and green certification, we can get hold of the hop flowers"

TH : "We use pellets at Twisted Hop"

:huh:

Well I still like the flowers, so there nyah booh.

You would be surprised with how many breweries use pellets. Feral uses pellets.

I have met a few brewers in my line of work. Recently met Christian from Beer Here. Such a down to Earth guy. Fantastic to talk to, and has had an interesting career in the world of beer.

Meeting the head brewer from Weihenstephaner in two weeks. That will be rather interesting. Anyone meet Mikkel when he was down under?

Back