Commercial Beers Worth Aging?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waggastew

Reaction score
Just read the thread re: Coopers Best Extra. Got me thinking about Coopers Vintage etc which I have kept a few bottles of for the last few years (and have heard Dr Smurto is currently working his way through a case of the 2003?). Anybody got any thoughts on other commercial beers worth aging? Both imported but don't ignore the domestics.

I had thought Coopers Vintage, Coopers Best Extra, Sheaf Stout, CSA, Chimays etc

1998, 1999 and 2000 Vintage ale here (the 2000 is an unopened case).

Thomas Hardy Ale and any barleywine as well as many of the english old ales.

chimay grand reserve is excellent at about 4 years.

The strong Unibroue brews are meant to age well. Trois Pistoles, La Fin Du Monde etc.

As if I could leave them on the shelf though! :icon_cheers:

There are plenty of beers around that say they can be cellared, but most of the time I would not bother going longer than a couple of years. Anything that is strong, dark would have potential.

I have done the ageing thing, and found that there is nothing worse than trying a beer and thinking it is liquid heaven, only to try it the following year and realise that it is going downhill.

My tip would be if you are going to age a beer, make sure the cellar environment is good. If all you are doing is sticking it under the bed, i would not bother.

I have a collection of Chimay, Murrays, Unibroue, Thomas Hardy's, Crown Ambassador, some various lambics. More often I think it is better to drink fresh.

It is a personal thing though

The Edinburgh Hotel in SA has Coopers Sparkling long necks that have been aged, 3 years or 5 years

Very nice as well.

my issue, I don't have the discipline to leave beer that long

Murrays Anniversary ale made to age, but I reckon the Wild Thing Imperial Stout is even more age worthy!

If you ever get your hands on some Mikkeller Black, age it for another 5 years and it might be drinkable by humans.

Other than at any intensely flavoured (and often dark) beers above the 12% mark are almost a sure thing to be age worthy.

I bought two bottles of Ace of Spades last night from brewboys. One is the current batch and the other is batch number 7 (which I think is 1 or 2 years old - hatchy or jayse could clear that one up). Will be doing a side by side either tonight or next week sometime.

Cheers

I bought two bottles of Ace of Spades last night from brewboys. One is the current batch and the other is batch number 7 (which I think is 1 or 2 years old - hatchy or jayse could clear that one up). Will be doing a side by side either tonight or next week sometime.

Cheers
Did a similiar thing with Coopers Extra stout at a local pub. They had some very old stock (slow mover), and tried it alongside the newest case...age definately makes a difference.

I've got some 4 year old XXXX Gold (don't laugh, a carton was left by someone after a party and I couldn't bear to either drink it or throw it out).
It now has a slightly oxidised, malty flavour reminiscent of a Dubbel.

Still a struggle getting through it; maybe a shot of vodka to up the alcohol content???

Latest posts

Back