Commercial beers that surprised you

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fnqbrew

Reaction score
I lost a bet at work a few weeks ago. Up here, beer currency amongst tradies is usually a carton of XXXX Gold. I went into Dans and noticed a pallet of Blue Sky FNQ Gold stubbies at $25 a box. I try to buy Australian made beer where possible, and Blue Sky is made here in Cairns, so decided to give it a whirl. Couldn't beat the price. Chilled them down and at the Friday knock off beer -everyone- commented on how good it is. OK, it's a mid-strength gold, but it's seriously not bad. I don't know if it's just because it is fresh, or because it's not full of isohops, but it surprised us all. I shoot competitively, so spend a bit of time on the road and camping, so I've tried most of the mid-strengths out there (normally buy Coopers Mild for those times). I'll be giving this one another look.

What else have you tried that was better than you expected?

Blue Sky has represented at Bitter & Twisted in Maitland for 2 years now and none of their brews can be faulted, they're doing a great job up there.

O'Brien's gluten free pale ale has been my surprise, they're doing a great job for the GF market.

I'm sitting at home enjoying a Blue Sky Pilsner for the first time right now and just loving it! Not bad at $40.99/box at Dan Murphys too. I can see myself drinking a lot more although the wife thinks I'm drinking it far too quickly. ;-p

Latest posts

Back