Comments And Recommendatinos On A Simple Apa

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

berto

Reaction score
Hi all,
After a long hiatus I've decided it's time to get off my ass and set my berw gear back up. So I'm frantically gettign some bits and bobs together for a new mash tun etc. and have started formulating a few recipes which should be reasonably easy to put down.

How does the below look?
I'm after something not too hoppy to make it more palatable to my mates (Big fans of superdry) and also part of the reason I've added some biscuit to give it a bit more malt profile.

Is there anything glaringly obvious I should add, remove etc.

Also I'm just getting used to promash and the reports that come out of it to try and get a decent format for people on here. Let me know if there's something there I may have done wrong too.

Cheers in advance, Berto

Recipe: APA #1
Brewer: Rob
Asst Brewer:
Style Name: American Pale Ale
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 23.00 L
Boil Size: 28.72 L
Boil Time: 60
Estimated OG: 1.049 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.012 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.79 %
Estimated Color: 5.8 SRM
Estimated IBU: 36.3 IBU
Bitterness Ratio: 0.740
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
4.50 kg Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (3.0 SRM) Grain 89.95 %
0.25 kg Biscuit Malt (23.0 SRM) Grain 5.05 %
0.25 kg Wheat Malt, Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 5.00 %
20.00 gm Centennial [10.00 %] (90 min) Hops 22.9 IBU
20.00 gm Cascade [5.50 %] (30 min) Hops 9.0 IBU
15.00 gm Cascade [5.50 %] (15 min) Hops 4.4 IBU
15.00 gm Cascade [5.50 %] (0 min) (Aroma Hop-SteepHops -
1 Pkgs American Ale II (Wyeast Labs #1272) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 5.00 kg
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 12.50 L of water at 74.7 C 67.8 C
5 min Mash Out Add 8.00 L of water at 69.2 C 68.3 C

Only obvious thing I can see is that a 32IBU, malty, warmish mash temp beer does not scream "superdry mates". But if they don't want any I'll have it because it looks pretty damned nice.

Outside of your context, it seems slightly odd to be looking at an APA without any spec malts but the biscuit should get you over the line there, I suppose.

I always say "it's not an APA without Munich!" but then again that's just me cause I love it.

+1 on Bum's comment on the mash temp

So maybe drop the mash temp down to 65 and sub 1kg of pale for munich?

I would sub the British Pale malt with JW Pils or BB Pale and some Weyermann Munich.
The Biscuit should go well.
Mash at 67 degrees C.

But I'm not an AG brewer, yet.

I'd leave the grain bill as is (I think it looks nice), but I would change the hopping schedule to 60, 10, 5 and 0 (you could do a 90 minute addition - but that means a 90 minute boil, which you haven't calculated for in your recipe). With a 23 litre batch I would go around the 15 - 20 grams per late addition (like you already have) - that will mean with a 10, 5 and 0 min additions you will have to adjust your 60 minute addition to keep the IBU at around 35. I personally like centennial more than cascade, so I would want to maybe combine centennial and cascade in the late additions - but that is a personal thing. If you are going to mash at 67 I would also move the bitterness up a tad, but if you mash at 65 I think that 35ish should be fine.

The second thing I would change is your mashout. Lower the amount of water you are using in your mashout and increase your mashout temp to about 78 (anything high 70 will do though). I think just adding boiling water to reach your mashout is best (other than a decoction). That will mean you have more water to sparge with and fingers crossed, higher efficiency.

Hope that helps you some.

Cheers
Phil

Looks like a cracker of a beer.

my 2c...
uk pale like marris otter plus the biscuit should give you plenty of malt...if you want more sub 250-500grams of pale for munich and that'll give you another big hit.
Your mash looks pretty thick, the dough-in volume looks low to me, I use around 3.2 litres per kilo which would bring yours up to 16 litres. I agree with Phillip on the mash out, I use 7 litres boiling to get it up close to 77, lets the sugars flow easily.
What sort of efficiency were you getting from your system? If you don't hit that 75% efficiency you'll get a bit more bitterness, personally I wouldn't want to go any higher than 35 IBU - I find the US citrus-type hops leave a harsh, biting bitterness not the peppery, deep noble hops bitterness but I guess that's just personal preference.

Back