Comment On My Ingredients/method Please

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ODDBALL

Reaction score
Ok, between some advice I got here and by googling I have put together a step by step process that I am going to carry out Saturday morning, that is unless someone here pulls it to pieces and tells me it won't work. Please let me know what you think?

CRACK GRAIN (250g CRYSTAL) AND SOAK IN 0.75 LITRE OF 30-60C WATER FOR APPROX 30 MINUTES.

PUT KIT TIN TO SOAK IN HOT WATER TO SOFTEN IT UP.

STRAIN WORT INTO SAUCEPAN.

RE-SOAK GRAIN FOR A FURTHER 15 MINUTES IN ANOTHER 0.75 LITRE. STRAIN LIQUID INTO SAUCEPAN.

(OPTIONAL) TO REMOVE CLOUDINESS FROM WORT POUR THE WORT SLOWLY THROUGH THE GRAINS TO ACT AS A FINE SIEVE. (DISCARD GRAIN)

TOP UP TO 3.5 LITRES BRING TO BOIL AND SIMMER FOR 15 MINUTES ALONG WITH TOOHEYS KIT AND KIT YEAST AS NUTRIENT FOR MAIN YEAST, KILO OF BREWBOOSTER 300g DME AND 12g HALLERTUA HOP BAG.

PUT LID ON AND COOL TO 20C IN ICE BATH (WHILE COOLING RINSE FERMENTER, AIRLOCK, SEALS ETC) SPLASH POUR INTO FERMENTER ALONG WITH HOP BAG.

TOP UP TO 1.045 OR 23L (WHICHEVER COMES FIRST) AERATE, PITCH AND SEAL.

INGREDIENTS

250g CRYSTAL
12g HALLERTUA HOPS (BAGGED)
TOOHEYS LAGER KIT
1K BREW BOOSTER PACK
300g LIGHT DME
SAFALE 04 YEAST

EXPECTED O.G 1.045
EXPECTED F.G 1.012

I would not re-steep the crystal. Everything else looks OK, hope boiling the Tooheys kit doesn't cause funny tastes or boil off all the hop extract from it

Jovial Monk

JM

What is wrong with soaking the grains again? Surely he OddBall should soak them again, which is similar to sparging. Are you saying people that mini-mash shouldn't sparge?

I think the process looks OK, though it is a long time since I did partials.

Cheers
Pedro

If he wants to sparge with hot water OK, but adding more water after the first steep I reckon danger of extracting tannins.

JM

A bit of simple maths says that tannin extraction isn't going to be an issue

First step at 60C (max) for 30 minutes
Second step at 60C (max) for 15 minutes.

Dunno about you, but I mash for 60 minutes at temperatures above 60C and sparge a bloody lot more out of the grains. Not to mention, this is a small amount compared to the overall volume of the kit

Cheers
Pedro

The more tannin the better. It will give the Tooheys kit some flavour.

hahahahah GL, yes, I too think the world of the Tooheys kits :)

He would be safer steeping with 1.2L water than doing two steeps.

And, a steep is not a mash, pH differences etc

JM

The pH with a crystal malt will be in the expected range for a mash. Many full mash brewers don't worry about their pH. Are we going get everyone to call it a partial steep instead of partial mash here? Lets get back to helping Oddball.

I think what Oddball is doing here is going to improve his beer, the tannin level will be extremely low, less than a full mash.

Cheers
Pedro

looks like youve done some research -youve got the basics-now put it together and take notes, if you like it do it again or change it slightly next time.Thats the fun its your brew

Sounds good Oddball. :super:

If you can notice any tannin extraction from 250g of crystal malt I'll personally suck on a discarded teabag. :ph34r:

Warren -

Jovial_Monk said:
If he wants to sparge with hot water OK, but adding more water after the first steep I reckon danger of extracting tannins.

JM
[post="59775"][/post]​

I sincerely doubt you will see any noticeable tannin extraction with this method. We're dealing with a small amount of grain, and the steep temperature will not stay at 60C for very long. Rememer, the directions say 30-60. By dividing the steep water in two, it will increase sugar extraction without, in my opinion, any real risk in tannin extraction.

oddball, those directions sound good to me. go your hardest.

Latest posts

Back