Comet

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yob

Hop to it
Reaction score
A rare US grown hop, originally bred for its bittering characteristics. Said to have character similar to wild American hops that are "objectionable to some brewers".
Dank and herbal smelling. Has some citrus notes to it, but it's just.... well... smells like weed
Bittering Hop with a unique Wild American aroma, and wonderful zesty grapefruit, lemon, and orange notes. This hop is a great balance between grassy and citrusy flavors.

Typical Brewing Style: Ale and Lagers.

Possible Substitution: Galena
MOD: Post edited by Lord Raja Goomba I, to ensure all hop descriptions are at the start of each topic. Original Post below:

Not been discussed here before, there is little on the Net about them but what I could dig up seems promising.

"Bought a pound last year and it was my favorite hop. Hoping that pellets get released by HD soon. Made a comet only pale ale and the flavor is straight grapefruit juice. I mean strong ruby red juice. The dankness really didn't come through with dry hopping, just grapefruit. If you're a grapefruit fan then rock it hard and don't be afraid, otherwise use sparingly with other citrus hops because it's pretty intense. Currently conditioning a comet dry hopped sour that's got the same grapefruit flavor. I'm a fan."

from >HERE<

Im thinking that because they are not available here I am going to have to import some, at least a few Oz's just to try them myself.. they sound right up my alley

:icon_cheers:

Grapefruit and pineapple. Sounds great to me too, be sure to let us know how it goes.

Sounds like a pretty standard American 'C' hop. I read on one site everyone whinging about getting sick of grapefruit because that was all they ever got. I assume that a bit of citrus combined with some IBU equals grapefruit.
I get something similar out of my dwarfs :ph34r: with a leaning toward passionfruit.

gosh.. well I wont bother with anything new then...

<_<

Ed: what site were you reading that on?

http://www.yakimavalleyhops.com/product_p/hopscomet3.htm

G'day Yob,
Might have been the same site you have linked to above. If I recall, I may have been reading up on Columbus.

Comet are described as having wild notes, citrus fruit and lemon grass. Sounds nice, I'm a fan of C hops and American wild hops seem to lead the way in that regard. :chug:

Had the comet single hop ipa by brew dog the other night. When I can get my hands on some of this stuff fresh I'll b a happy man! Delicious.

Yeah I had that beer the other night too. Good, but not the best of a great series. I felt it was very similar to other c hops.

I thought exp 366 was the best... One of the best beers I have had in a long time.

danestead said:
Had the comet single hop ipa by brew dog the other night. When I can get my hands on some of this stuff fresh I'll b a happy man! Delicious.
I thought it was decent.

But the EXP366 one I really liked. It has been commercially released as "Equinox". Been trying to hunt it down, might not be available locally until next crop (which should only be a few months off).

Was my favourite, then a few rungs down the ladder: Comet, Amarillo and whatever the other one was.

With 366/Equinox I had all the fruit of an American "C" hop, balanced with some dank/resin. For a single hop, it was complex and self-complimentary.

I have been on the hunt for it since!

I also had the Brewdog Comet IPA & I was blown away by the fruitiness of this hop.
I couldn't pick an exact type of fruit it tasted like, maybe lychee or similar. I didn't get huge grapefruit from it.

Unlike stakka & Spiesy it was my favourite of the 4 pack (they were all good though)

Back