Come on Coopers...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr. No-Tip

Reaction score
I am probably preaching to the converted here as I know that Coopers drops aren't all that popular here, but look at this flacid looking little drop that got through their QC:

cooper.jpg

Pretty ridiculous. Does anyone know how these are made? I'd have thought size differences of this degree would be avoidable at large production scales.

I am sure some will chime in with 'why bother' comments on the drops, but they are actually perfect for Belgian and Wheat beer carbonation around 3.5 volumes. I find them much simpler than individual measures and a little less fiddly and risky than bulk priming - I've never had oxidation or infection from it, but I still think of it as a risk vector.

They're mass produced. There's probably a small tolerance for errors, and you managed to get one of the bags that had one in it.

Besides, you usually keep your eyes open when you're priming bottles so the fact that you found it is no big deal. Too large however, would be a potential problem.

Why bother...

Just coz you practically asked me to.

I actually use them on my 2000ml growlers, 4 drops, if I brew to 23lt, I get a keg and a growler or two and anything remaining goes to the angels.

I find 4 drops is just about right for 2lt of ale.. Which is less than what coopers suggest.

Personally, I'd like to see smaller drops so you can tailor them for style better.

But you know what?

Bulk priming rocks and is essentially risk free if you take care... So yeah, why bother ;)

Yob said:
But you know what?

Bulk priming rocks and is essentially risk free if you take care... So yeah, why bother ;)
Amen to that Brother. B) And you can also fine tune your carbonation level

Mangrove Jacks drops are good if you can get your hands on them , every one is the exact same size and carbonation seems to be more consistent compared to others I have used

I know a bloke who works on the production line. It's a monotonous job and to maintain energy levels they suck on the odd drop. But they never eat it all. That would be stealing.

I found another use for the smaller and mis-shapen ones. Instead of spending money on buying boiled lollies, I use them to entice into my car little b.... No forget I said that. Carry on.

Latest posts

Back