Colour correction in the fermenter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SG9090

Reaction score
I have an Alt beer been cold conditioning for a month or so now. I tried a sample last night taste great however the colour really needs to be darker.
Is there any reason why i can not draw off 2L bring to about 70deg on the stove, steep some grain, cool and return to the fermenter before i bottle.

I've done similar before but I would just steep your cracked spec grain, strain, boil for at least 10 minutes and add to your fermenter rather than boiling up any beer.

Sinmar would surely work..... or steep your own carafa special T3, boil, cool and pour

NewtownClown said:
Sinmar would surely work..... or steep your own carafa special T3, boil, cool and pour
I believe that's what Sinamar is for. :)

Glad you don't want to make a RIS Hoegaarden white...

sure. Either buy sinmar or "make" your own. Either or.

Another tip would be to cold steep overnight the roast barley or carafa special or whatever dark malts you have. Boil the next day, cool and add. That will have a lot less impact on flavour

Great, thanks for your help. I will steep the grain cold then boil and add to fermenter

Briess Pure Black is a bit like a dried Sinnamar - was available from MHB but not sure if he stocks it anymore. Problem is that it is so concentrated that one tub will last you, your kids and their kids through entire brewing careers :p

Back