Colour Contribution From Cocoa

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geoffd

Reaction score
Looking to get an idea of how to keep within ballpark colour range when swapping chocolate malt for base malt & adding cocoa.

was thinking of 200g cocoa in 25 litres, I assume there are no fermentables from cocoa?

TIA

Looking to get an idea of how to keep within ballpark colour range when swapping chocolate malt for base malt & adding cocoa.

was thinking of 200g cocoa in 25 litres, I assume there are no fermentables from cocoa?

TIA

Can't give you numbers, but if you can't find exact figures on the net I'd be adding 20g of cocoa to 2.5 litres of water and seeing what colour you get.

James

There's cocoa and cocoa and cocoa.

Each "cocoa powder" available has a different fat content, colour range and taste. Has to be 100% Cocoa, there will be zero sugars/fermentables but the colour and fat (flavour) will still vary. It mainly depends on the roasting the bean has been through prior to milling, much like coffee. If it is not 100% cocoa there will be milk solids and various sugars in it. 100% cocoa is amazingly bitter, you wont be able to eat it.

As suggested, try it out to see how the colour goes. Try to get a powder that you can regularly get so you can be consistent with batches.

Edit: Sory, just had a look at one of our Spec sheets (I work for a company that sodl cocoa) and there are potential fermentables even in cocoa.

Per 100g of one particular grade, not gospel for all grades
Total Carb 34.2
Sugar 2.0
Cellulose 17.5
Starch 11.70
Pentosanes 3.0

Thanks guys, the thing about making up a batch is; will the cocoa settle out of suspension over time?

I was looking for some fairly ball park guides for a first time using it. maybe a direct swap of 200g cocoa for 200g choc malt or maybe a small bit less choc malt taken out (150g?)

Most the cocoa brands I found hadnt even got the nutritional info on them, one had 21% fat. I got a different one that was unlabelled also, just thought it would hardly be fattier than the 21%

I intend to use isinglass on this batch (not for clarification) but for its head retention properties to help counter the cocoa fat.

21% fat content is on the higher end of the scale, in my limited experience 10-15 is common.

Depends where you are getting it from and what they plan to use it for. Fat is tasty but you're not after taste, it also would lend mouthfeel but presume that's not the goal either.

You are right that it will settle out over time

Sorry I can't be more help on an addition level. You could try ading it to the base malt pre-brew and doing a side by side with some choc malt to see colour ?

Latest posts

Back