Colour change

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamd84

Reaction score
Hi guys. I’m a new grain brewer using biab system. I bottles my first batch about a month ago. On bottling the beer (stone and wood pacific ale clone) was a lovely light golden colour and on opening my first bottle 2 weeks later was the same. I’ve opened one today to find the colour has completely changed to a dark gold/brown. Flavour is still nice although not as hoppy as originally and slightly more bitter. Was stored out of sunlight however being in Townsville in temps from 20-27 degrees.

Thanks in advance for your help [emoji4]

I've noticed this too, I think as the sediment drops out and clears it can take on a more golden appearance, the same has happened with my Mexican cerveza I'm drinking right now it was bearly yellow after kegging now after three week its crystal clear and golden

Hi guys. I’m a new grain brewer using biab system. I bottles my first batch about a month ago. On bottling the beer (stone and wood pacific ale clone) was a lovely light golden colour and on opening my first bottle 2 weeks later was the same. I’ve opened one today to find the colour has completely changed to a dark gold/brown. Flavour is still nice although not as hoppy as originally and slightly more bitter. Was stored out of sunlight however being in Townsville in temps from 20-27 degrees.

Thanks in advance for your help [emoji4]

This is called oxidation. You have introduced oxygen to the beer post-fermentation which has caused this. Depending on how you bottled, it would have either happened then (perhaps your bottling technique, or if you were a bit careless racking over if using a bottling bucket), or if you dry hopped then it could also have been your dry hopping technique.

Back