Collared Keezer Build

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dunkelbrau

Reaction score
Scored a free old chest freezer, measurements internally say I can easily fit 6 cornys, and a multitude of bottles/glasses..
Ive decided 4 taps is going to be what I'm after, I've got a 4 way secondar regulator setup on its way, 2 kegs to start off, 4 all stainless taps and shanks, I've grabbed some 2.4m lengths of 90x45mm pine for the collar..
I was thinking of painting it (freezer).. Any tips?
Looking for things people wish they had changed/thought of while in planning/build stage..

Scored a free old chest freezer, measurements internally say I can easily for 6 cornys, and a multitude of bottles/glasses..
Ive decided 4 taps is going to be what I'm after, I've got a 4 way secondar regulator setup on its way, 2 keystone start off, 4 all stainless taps and shanks, I've grabbed some 2.4m lengths of 90x45mm pine for the collar..
I was thinking of painting it (freezer).. Any tips?
Looking for things people wish they had changed/thought of while in planning/build stage..

I'm really glad i went for the little cupboard and font for mine rather than the taps hanging out of the collar. In my sig.

I'm really glad i went for the little cupboard and font for mine rather than the taps hanging out of the collar. In my sig.

The only thing I couldn't see working out is the lid opening, it really depends on where I put it (at the moment it's the garage) but I intend on moving her into the house and usually spaces get a bit more limited.

collars are good as most chest freezers are to short for the kegs anyway so you need to build it up. Why not use that to mount taps and put hoses and wires threw instead of drilling holes in the freezer its self. Make sure 90mm will be enough if you plan to put kegs on the compressor hump.

For the freezer I am not sure the best method to paint it but you can get metal primer (not sure if its needed if its already painted) Id say if its already painted painting over it should be fine but you will have to get it really clean and free of oil or anything. You could prob give it a sand with really fine sand paper so it sticks better maybe.

Theres a whole thread on keezer builds. And a full wiki.
Read those then if youve got questions ask.

Edit. Ok just seen that youve joined this week, so ill cut u some slack.
Learn to use the search function. Its ur friend
Link to chesty build wiki is in my signature.

Keep your fingers away from the hinges when working on them. I took the top of my thumb off when it snapped open while screwing them back on.

I'm glad I followed CM2's freezer build wiki, as it answered a lot of questions and was a pretty straightforward guide. I'm happy I put on lots of gas manifolds (4 lines for each regulator). I'm sad I didn't put on a NRV on each individual gas line. I'm glad I got the Perlick 545PC flow control taps.

I'm glad I followed CM2's freezer build wiki, as it answered a lot of questions and was a pretty straightforward guide. I'm happy I put on lots of gas manifolds (4 lines for each regulator). I'm sad I didn't put on a NRV on each individual gas line. I'm glad I got the Perlick 545PC flow control taps.
I put in nrv's after. As u point out, a Great investment

Theres a whole thread on keezer builds. And a full wiki.
Read those then if youve got questions ask.

Edit. Ok just seen that youve joined this week, so ill cut u some slack.
Learn to use the search function. Its ur friend
Link to chesty build wiki is in my signature.

Jeez I bet he's happy you cut him some slack...............Would have been shitting his pants otherwise............you scared me and I was only reading it <_<

Cheers man, I'll check the link out :)

Sorry regarding the search, I totally didn't think, I had done a number of google searches but didn't get anything for this forum.. Guess I should have used the button up the top haha!

Cheers everyone else as well, it's a collective group of information around here :)

Hi Jurt - I'm also planning a collar for my freezer, so can't yet offer any 'wish I'd done X differently' advice. Here's an example of a collar that isn't attached to either the freezer lid or body.

http://billybrew.com/kegerator-collar
http://billybrew.com/keezer-updates

rowan
Pretty standard way of attaching collar. No diff from my way (from first skim read). A nice looking collar though.

If u read the wiki tger are some links to other collar builds. If u read tge accompanying tgread there is disc on what to do differant etc.
Ive had to rebuild tge collar to put on a new chesty and I just folliwed ny own guide. Works well.

Jeez I bet he's happy you cut him some slack...............Would have been shitting his pants otherwise............you scared me and I was only reading it <_<

yes i wouldnt worry about asking questions here its ok, REALLY,

the search function on this web site can be useless at the best of times, after all we are an interactive group of guys who do like to chat to each other.

i would rather ask a question now than look it up ,as i think by asking you either get directed to the correct place or you get later and better info sometimes from forum members.
fergi

i would rather ask a question now than look it up ,as i think by asking you either get directed to the correct place or you get later and better info sometimes from forum members.
fergi
thats called being a lazy twat. Not only does it clutter the board with half threads but makes searching harder for others. Most questions have already been asked. Read the relevant threads then ask a question on yhe relevant thread. Youll most likly find tge info or educate urself so u can ask a more complicated/pertinant question. Its called curtesy and knowledge managment

Hi Jurt - I'm also planning a collar for my freezer, so can't yet offer any 'wish I'd done X differently' advice. Here's an example of a collar that isn't attached to either the freezer lid or body.

http://billybrew.com/kegerator-collar
http://billybrew.com/keezer-updates

rowan
Cheers for the link mate!
Any and all info is appreciated, there is no definitive way to do things and everyone has extra opinions and options, I guess that is what makes a message board or forum of individuals who are all aiming for the same thing a great place to chat and help everyone out!
I just had a skim of your build city morgue and it looks like its very in depth. I'll definitely be giving it a print and using it as a guide! Cheers!

Cheers for the link mate!
Any and all info is appreciated, there is no definitive way to do things and everyone has extra opinions and options, I guess that is what makes a message board or forum of individuals who are all aiming for the same thing a great place to chat and help everyone out!
I just had a skim of your build city morgue and it looks like its very in depth. I'll definitely be giving it a print and using it as a guide! Cheers!
Any questions pm me or throw them up on that wiki thread. Its good fun

Looking to swap my fridge out for a keeper build. Having been keeping an eye out on ebay and gumtree for cheap chests.... do you guys know of anywhere else I should be looking?

Looking to swap my fridge out for a keeper build. Having been keeping an eye out on ebay and gumtree for cheap chests.... do you guys know of anywhere else I should be looking?
those are the best places (othern than AHB of course). You could try keeping an eye out on other brewing sites. Ive got a large glass door chesty for sale but probably not what your after.

or if your wanting a smaller chesty like under 400L then there are specials on new chesty often enough and they arnt too expensive. there are few threads discussing some of the brands that come on special.

just keep looking and you'll find something.

should easily find a decent chestie for < $150 on ebay/gumtree, 300L maybe or less... enough for 6 kegs

i spent $10 on timber and right angled brackets for my collar and used some left over blackboard paint for the collar

about an hours work all up to reposition the hinges, build collar and paint it

Back