Collar staining

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajmuzza

Reaction score
I've finally got round to making a collar for my keezer. I'm in the process of staining it with some bond all jarrah stain and varnish. I'm the first to admit I hate painting, but I've got to say that 2 coats in it looks like crap compared to others I've seen on here. Brush marks, uneven stain. Another really the right place for this I suppose, but has anyone got any tips (other than spraying)?

ajmuzza said:
I've finally got round to making a collar for my keezer. I'm in the process of staining it with some bond all jarrah stain and varnish. I'm the first to admit I hate painting, but I've got to say that 2 coats in it looks like crap compared to others I've seen on here. Brush marks, uneven stain. Another really the right place for this I suppose, but has anyone got any tips (other than spraying)?
What is the collar made out of as different timbers will take stain differently? Another option is to use a lambs wool pad (like the floor guys use). It is more expensive than a brush, but will give you a smooth covering.

JD

MastersBrewery said:
don't forget to sand well between coats
Good point, and something I forgot to add. Use a fine grit paper between coats (320 would be my choice) and make sure it is smooth and clean before adding another coat.

JD

Ive found stain + lacquer combos to be like that. Better off staining first then using clear coats

yeah, what Mark said.
I'm a French Polisher by trade and can tell you those "One Pot Does All" is shite.

The proper way is to get the stain into the timber then apply clear coats to the timber.
Otherwise, it will look like toffee apple.

timber finishes should be clear so you can see the detail of the grain in the timber.

Saw the topic title and thought it was about laundry tips. lol. Quick! think something manly!

You could always go the dried up shelac beetles and metho....

That's French polish, and no.
The polish is too soft for the bar.
Ideally, a two part finish is the best as it will cure rock hard. But for the average punter, a nitro cellulose based lacquer is good.
I finished mine with a few clear coats of satin lacquer and that's it.

H0U5ECAT said:
I finished mine with a few clear coats of satin lacquer and that's it.

nitro cellulose based lacquer is good.
Nitrocellulose isn't exactly easy to find these days and takes longer to cure than anyone is going to want to give it for a keezer. The thinners for Nitrocellulose is also hard to find and expensive. Polyurethane is a more likely candidate.

? Nitro is just standard thinners. Not turps or metho.
If you shop in bunnings, you're going to get all the one pot solutions, but if you ask for the right stuff, they will show you where it is.
Curing time is usually overnight

H0U5ECAT said:
? Nitro is just standard thinners. Not turps or metho.
If you shop in bunnings, you're going to get all the one pot solutions, but if you ask for the right stuff, they will show you where it is.
Curing time is usually overnight
In my experience nitro is very difficult to find these days, you may be right about the thinners though.

Back