Coles Supermarkets

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mwd

Awful Ale Apprentice
Reaction score
How much attention do you pay to your till receipts? I didn't until now and found I had been robbed two times in one week.
First was a pack of sausages marked down 20% still fresh but checked and charged full price. Second two tins of Cambells soup which were marked as specials and ended up being charged $3.98 a can bloody expensive soup. Needless to say I am going to be checking the till receipt carefully before leaving the building pity I need my glasses to read the numbers.

Not just Coles that this happens at. It always pays to pay attention to the prices that items scan at, can make a big difference if you are not careful.

Use the self service check out and scan all your veggies as brushed potatoes to make up for it. Haha.

Read the prices on what you buy to see what it scan's at..i have been caught out @woolworth's

Read the prices on what you buy to see what it scan's at..i have been caught out @woolworth's

Ha Ha not so easy if you have a basket or trolley full. But as they say once bitten will be checking everything in future. Funny how whatever you buy goes on special two days later.

Most supermarkets adhere to some (voluntary) scanning code of practice thingo. If you take the receipt back and show them the mistake you get refunded the entire item price (usually only for the first item if you have multiple of the same error). I know Woolworths do this and I think I remember Coles doing it too (could be wrong, haven't shopped there in a long time).

Most supermarkets adhere to some (voluntary) scanning code of practice thingo. If you take the receipt back and show them the mistake you get refunded the entire item price (usually only for the first item if you have multiple of the same error). I know Woolworths do this and I think I remember Coles doing it too (could be wrong, haven't shopped there in a long time).

yeah they both do it

i used to run a meat unit in woolies and plenty of people would get free meat by catching us with errors

mostly its just staff who could not give a shit or pricing changes on the system and not at the shelf ticket

best way to get free stuff is to use a list and write down the prices on the shelf ticket then check them on your docket before you go home

I used to complain about the wife checking dockets after every shop till I saw she was getting stuff for free because of their mistakes. Thrifty shopper that girl but hey, they make the rules. I no complain now. :p ca-ching $$$$$!
Daz

Our local Super IGAs have gone over completely to electronic shelf tags that are remotely controlled so they change for specials, price rises etc.

price_tag.png

Apparently they can be hacked - now that would be a neat way of sneaking some high priced items. "but the shelf tag definitely said $16 - come along I'll show you" (fiddles with the Arduino-powered device in pocket) :p

Our local Super IGAs have gone over completely to electronic shelf tags that are remotely controlled so they change for specials, price rises etc.

View attachment 53198

Apparently they can be hacked - now that would be a neat way of sneaking some high priced items. "but the shelf tag definitely said $16 - come along I'll show you" (fiddles with the Arduino-powered device in pocket) :p

Just add a button at the register for a disputed item and the system automatically adjusts the shelf tag to display the scanned price.
No more wrongly scanned items for free :(

Tight arse Trick I used to use when back in aus was to look through the priced to clear stuff with the big labels with new price over the barcode and try find items where the sticker isn't over the whole barcode that way it still scans at regular prices then head to service counter afterwards and get it for free. Amazing how often it worked

Gotta love their blatant deception. The missus' favourite bog roll, used to be $8.32 or thereabouts but was regularly on special at $6. Then when the red finger campaign started it went to $7 flat. In the past month or so it quietly jumped up to $8 flat, with the red finger tag proclaiming how it "was $8.32". No wonder Coles has a red finger, all chaffed up from slipping into our back pocket, sans lube.

Back