Cold wort, warm yeast - Thermal shock?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

menoetes

Reaction score
Hi guys,

So I put a lovely little Yeast starter on the go yesterday in prep for brewing on the weekend, 100ml of wort with a 1/4 of a wyeast pack in it to kick off.

Then I got out of bed this morning and my first thought was 'Better step up that starter...'

No breakfast or coffee yet, I blearily reach into the fridge for some spare wort I keep for such occasions and promptly topped that starter up to the 500ml mark.

See what I did there?

Like an idiot I've just gone and topped up room temp yeast (about 19'c at this time of morning) with chilled wort! Now I'm sitting here gnawing my nails wondering if I have crippled my yeast with thermal shock.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Any advice on how to recover from this?

I wouldn't worry about it, might just have a slightly longer than usual lag phase. As far as I know heat shock is worse going cold yeast to hot wort.

Yeastfridge said:
I wouldn't worry about it, might just have a slightly longer than usual lag phase. As far as I know heat shock is worse going cold yeast to hot wort.
I always thought it was the other way around :unsure:

Rocker1986 said:
I always thought it was the other way around :unsure:
I read as much too. I'm seeing some activity now but not as much as I would like - I might slow down my stepping-up process to compensate.

Back