Cold Weather Forces Oktoberfest Switch To Wine

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 384

Reaction score
The world's biggest beer festival, the Munich Oktoberfest, has broken with tradition to allow the sale of mulled wine to warm up drinkers during an unusually cold spell.

Organisers permitted the sale of the sweet, warm beverage at the 171st annual Oktoberfest, which has been hit by rain and gale force winds, but they made clear it was an exception.

Eight refreshment stalls have been permitted to sell mulled wine, 1,800 litres of which have been drunk so far, the Munich tourist office said.

That compares with 2.3 million litres of beer sold in the first week of the two week festival.

Visitor numbers so far have risen to 3.1 million from three million last year, despite the cold temperatures of about 15 degrees celsius.

Another statistic to emerge from the Oktoberfest was the seizure by security guards of 92,000 beer glasses visitors trying to smuggle as "free" souvenirs out of tents.

Another statistic to emerge from the Oktoberfest was the seizure by security guards of 92,000 beer glasses visitors trying to smuggle as "free" souvenirs out of tents.

At first I was a bit sad at the fact the security were cracking down on this instead of looking at what was coming in to the venue.As a glass collector ( if a beer cost more than $5 then the glass is included ) I would accept this as a challenge.
I got a great Stein from the English beer garden in Munich 10 years ago. It even made it all the way home in one piece

Latest posts

Back