Cold Steeping

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ross

CraftBrewer
Reaction score
Just about to start mashing a 'Black Horse' ale, which requires nearly 700 gms of black malt.
As I don't have means yet for checking PH & I've heard the black malt can throw it out a bit, I've decided to cold steep the black malt for 24 hrs rather than mashing, which I'm reliably informed gives a smoother beer as well?

My question is - Do you steep it in 2 1/2 times it's volume the same as mashing or does it require more water?

Cheers Ross...

Hi Ross

I've never tried cold steeping myself. If your worried about the pH in the mash you could add the black malt at the end of the mash (just before the sparge) instead. Also gives a smoother result...

Asher for now

i have cold steeped in 5ltrs of water - cold overnight.

I have some mates who add this straight to the fermenter without boiling - been doing it for for a few years - no probs.

Also know of people who boil it-add it to the kettle for the last 20mins of the boil - ie gradually so that the wort stays boiling.

Havent ever heard of black horse ale, but 700 g of black in 22 l is a lot, would give a crisp charcoal type aftertaste I would think.

cold steeping does taste nice, but it's very inefficient - youll need a lot more than 700g to get the same colour as if you mashed it - but 700g cold steeped should be plenty! 700g the normal way would be a hell of a lot of black malt

also you have to spend more time boiling all the liquid down. i massively undershot my gravityo on a baltic porter last year cause of cold steeping all the dark crystals and roast grains - it was much worse efficiency than i planned and i just had way too much liquid and couldnt be bothered boiling it all down for hours. so i ended up with a 1050 schwarzbier instead of a 1075 baltic porter! ah well, things dont always work out the way theyre planned at the neonmeate brewhouse. the roast profile was very smooth though so i will do it again. ill just have to allow for a lot worse efficiency.

Ross, go for the late mash-tun addition. Or do half at the start of the mash (that won't risk throwing your pH out) and add the other half toward the end.

steve

It's the favourite brew (from pommie land) of a good mate of mine. Apparently it's no longer brewed.
He always mashes the black malt - so doing a cold steep to see how it compares - Not worried about a bit of colour loss - she's as black as anyway...lol.
I'll add to the beginning of the boil & therefore the only difference between the 2 will be the cold steep...

Thanks for the advice guys...

Back