Cold Plate

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattvdp

Reaction score
Without starting an argument about the merits of a cold plate versus stainless coil, does anyone know where I can buy a two line cold plate in Australia? Something like this: http://www.micromatic.com/draft-keg-beer/jockey-boxes-pid-CP-1015-2.html

I've already got one in a freezer between my cellar and my font and it's working nicely, so I'd like to buy another to get the other two taps running. But Grain and Grape where I bought the first cold plate from don't import them any more...

Cheers
Matt

you say you've got a cold plate in a freezer? is that running at freezer temps? or fridge temps?

we used a cold plate miracle box (a mate's) on our last camping trip, and i've just bought one with another mate (again miracle box) but i've not yet seen it...

I'm super keen on them as i reckon a cold plate in an engel when camping takes up minimal space and allows cold beer and keeps swmbo happy with cold milk,meat,cheese etc...

sorry to stray OT but curious on you running it in a freezer? I woulda thought it would freeze beer in it when you're not pouring?

printed forms section said:
you say you've got a cold plate in a freezer? is that running at freezer temps? or fridge temps?
It's got a temperature controller to keep it at fridge temp (1C), but I used a feezer because it's much better insulated. At the moment the plate is immersed in a water bath as an extra heat sink. Soon I'm planning on changing the water to glycol, and turning the temperature down two or three degrees more. There's also an aquarium pump in the ice bath to circulate cold water (glycol eventually) through the font.

It'd be interesting to see how it goes in your camp fridge. The cold plates work much better immersed in liquid.

Back