Cold Crashing

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dsclark

Reaction score
Hi all, I have just got myself a brew fridge and I'm just wondering can I still cold crash and then prime and bottle? Basically will cold crashing have any negative affects in the secondary fermentation when I bottle??
Thanks in advance for your advice.

Not at all, in fact it's encouraged. There'll be enough yeast left in suspension to bottle carb.

Thanks for the advice. Do
I rack into a secondary then cold crash for 5 days?

Don't bother with the secondary at all. Cold crash your primary fermenter for 5 days (fewer if you're keen to bottle, min 2 days I suggest) then get to work. If you don't move your primary fermenter you won't disturb the settled trub at the bottom so it won't make its way into your bottles. If you want to take it one step further and get truly crystal clear beer, try adding gelatin when you begin the cold crash. Thread here.

ed: I say "don't bother with secondary" because it simply introduces another infection and oxidisation risk that you don't really need, if you take measures to a) settle the sediment, ie by cold crashing, and b) not disturb that settled trub so it stays in your fermenter and out of your bottles

Latest posts

Back