Cold Crashing

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

craigo

Reaction score
do you need to cc in the fermenter or can this prosses be acheived in the keg while it is carbing up over a week.

You can do it in the keg. The 1st glass or 2 will be full of crud (since it picks up from the bottom), but will be clear after that.

Just make sure you are patient and leave in a good couple of weeks to clear before tapping it. It is worth the wait.

do you need to cc in the fermenter or can this prosses be acheived in the keg while it is carbing up over a week.

Irish moss works a treat 2 weeks in fermenter for ales Gives time for everything to drop out
Drain to kegs chill and carb at the same time
Theres no crud in my glasses

Um... Irish moss is a kettle fining, not a fermenter finning isn't it?

Correct. Works best on haze proteins in the boil and not so well on yeast. Try insinglass or gelatin in the keg/fermenter.

Drew

That right
I used to use Geletin in fermenter when i first started brewing
You're right first pot or two full of yeast
Until i used Irish moss in boil
Never had a cloudy beer sense
And i dont tap a keg for at least 1-2 weeks

Isn't the point of crash chilling to remove yeast and sediment before it hits your keg?

I'd seriously do it in the fermenter - upon secondary, if possible. Remove the nasties from your brew before kegging, save your taps and lines from being exposed to excess rubbish.

from extract through to all grain Ive liked this process. Its easy and works ok.

If I have the time I like to crash chill at no more than 10c drops in temp (over 24hr)periods until down to 2c. leave to settle a few days then rack to secondary. let that sit for a week or two then off to the keg.
Theory of no more than 10c in 24hr period may not be relevant to small yeast cakes but its to avoid the yeast giving off flavors out in shock.

I don't lie gelatine or finnings because of the excess crap in my yeast cake and I like to pitch onto yeast cakes once or twice. Particularly after buying a nice wyeast pack. saves me stepping up and sometimes I think i get better fermentations out of this process.

you're right crash if you can
i dont until i do a lager, drops everything out
Ales work fine for me with I moss and time in fermenter
Keg and chill ,carb and serve.
It normally takes me 2 weeks to carb up my kegs at serv pressure

You shouldn't need Geletine or anything similar of any kind with AG or at least i haven't
I did need them with Kits and Extract +etc

thanks for the replies i did use whifloc in the boil and its been fermenting temps for 2 weeks i might cc for a couple of days then transfer to keg and leave it to carb for a couple of weeks.

Back