Cold Crashing

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

citizensnips

Reaction score
G'day all,
Im a K&K brewer and am putting down a coopers sparkling ale tomorrow. One thing i have never done with brewing is bothered using a secondary. As I have brewed quite a few batches now and have been reading up some more, i have come across cold crashing quite a bit. I was wanting to know if someone could exlpain exactly what 'cold crashing' is and if it is or can be done in primary and what are the benefits. Any advice is apreciated.
Cheers

It just means chilling the beer down post-fermentation. Drops the yeast out and is also very handy if you don't get around to bottling for a few weeks.

Yes it can be done in primary (no need for secondary), and as Kai said just chill it down to around 0-2C to let the yeast drop out and the beer to clear. It will smooth out the flavours as well if you let it cold condition for a week or two. There will still be enough yeast in suspension to carb it up when you bottle it.

Cheers, Andrew.

ok so if i leave it in primary for a week or a bit longer to be safe and then put it in the fridge at around 0-2 degrees for around a week that would be a good idea?

if it is or can be done in primary

I crash chill and fine in my primary, and condition at 2-4 degrees C until I bottle. When that comes around I siphon from the top to bulk prime to keep the yeast from being disturbed. This method took me a little while to end up on, but I am loving it, clear beers, cleaner tasting beers, less sediment in bottles.

ok so if i leave it in primary for a week or a bit longer to be safe and then put it in the fridge at around 0-2 degrees for around a week that would be a good idea?

Depends on your temp control, do you brew at 18 degrees? Mine are at 18deg for 2 weeks(give a couple days), then I crash chill in Primary and keg..

Need to take your hydro readings to ensure its finished fermenting, if you only ferment for a week(at correct temps), then crash chill and bottle without it fully fermenting, you could end up with bottle bombs.. :unsure:

Yep, just make sure fermentation has finished before chilling, consistent FG over 2-3 days.

Cheers, Andrew.

Yep will do. Yeah i have a fridgemate and generally do all ales around 18-21 degrees. So once you get a consistent FG reading all that needs to be done is stick in in my fridge at a controlled temp of 0-2 degrees for aprox 1 week. Does it matter how little or how long it is left in the cold conditions?

More yeast and tiny trub particles will drop out if you leave it longer.

Judging by your signature, you like your lagers. This is the technique "lagering" that will clean your beer up properly.

Excellent, yeah i am a fan of lagers however when i brewed them i never did cold crash them, just let them fully ferment out at 11-12 degrees.
Cheers for the help.

I wouldn't cold crash a coopers sparkling ale as that way you would lose to much yeast which is important in the flavour profile of this style of beer, its supposed to be a cloudy ale but to each his own i suppose. i always cold crash my lagers though and they come out crystal clear and mature quicker.

G'day all,
Im a K&K brewer and am putting down a coopers sparkling ale tomorrow. One thing i have never done with brewing is bothered using a secondary. As I have brewed quite a few batches now and have been reading up some more, i have come across cold crashing quite a bit. I was wanting to know if someone could exlpain exactly what 'cold crashing' is and if it is or can be done in primary and what are the benefits. Any advice is apreciated.
Cheers

In regards to time of crash chilling

I have a double brew of Pale Ale with US-05 I am doing for a Bathurst party in a 60l fermenter.
I put it down on tuesday and expecting to keg it off next weekend.
My question is, what is the shortest time I can crash chill for, as I will be using my Keg fridge and will have to pull the beers out that I am drinking.

If I got home next friday and pulled the current kegs out and put the fermenter in, could I keg it on saturday or should I wait until sunday?

Cheers

Robbo

Bump

Anyone know how long i need to cold crash for to get the yeast out of suspension?

Cheers

Robbo

Simple answer,the longer the better.

Why not add finings as well to speed the process ;)

Bump

Anyone know how long i need to cold crash for to get the yeast out of suspension?

Cheers

Robbo

The majority falls out pretty quickly @ 2*C. 24hrs @ 2*C will be enough if you really want to push it.

Edit-yep, use a fining agent of some kind too. e.g. cryofine or standard finings.

I do most of my brews for 5-7 days but even one or two days (particularly with finings) will help.

48 hours at -1C, finings added at 12 hours, longer won't hurt shorter won' do.

K

I've just started using Cryofine and it's quite frightening how quickly it drops the yeast. It's a bugger to prepare though, I've bought an electric beater just for it. Also it smells like fish sauce so make sure it drops right out before kegging.

I have my fermenter sitting @ 1.5c,how long could you leave it before you bottle

Back