Cold crashing with gelatin affecting dry hop aroma?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lachlan Helbig

Reaction score
Hey lads,

Just dry hopped a galaxy ale at about 4g/L and it's bloody awesome, but I'm wondering if I cc it with gelatin if I'll lose hop aroma and how to avoid it. I've read around but everyone seems to have their own theories on it. Does anyone have any advice?

I've seen little effect when gelatin is used in a small dosage, ie 1/2tsp in 250mL water. Worst case scenario is some of the aroma is stripped and you have to do a second dry hop and deal with the haziness that might result.

I've only used the gelatine once and the beer was delicious and still had hop aroma.

Maybe it could have had more, I don't know... but I'd do the same again if I were to use gelatine again.

I haven't noticed any difference with or without gel. I gel all my brews unless I am pushed for time to get the fermenter recycled.
But yeah 1/2 tsp per 20L batch.
Tip: I got sick of disturbing the fermenter to gel. (I don't have enough room to take the lid off in the fridge). So I made a funnel using a water bottle cut in half and an 8mm PVC tube. The tube fits into a hole drilled into the lid of the water bottle. I take my blow off tube (or airlock if you use an airlock) out of the fermenter lid, place my funnel tube in and fill my Gel through that. So now once I've dry hopped I don't need to disturb the fermenter.

Thanks for the advice fellas, a little loss wouldn't necessary be that bad. As much as I love galaxy, 80g done in 2 separate lots packs a massive punch.

My experience is the new (Hoppy) green kegged beer on tap is very upfront in the hop bang. Then over a week chilled, on tap the hop bang dissipates/disappears!. Then if you were to let it go longer chilled, on tap, Draght bottled, after say 2 months? Then the hop bang seems to come back. Not the same way but more like commercial version hoppy craft beers. I call it Cordial Beer when I first tried a Fat Yak.

Latest posts

Back