Cold crashing temperature

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krz

Reaction score
My latest brew has finished fermenting, I usually raise the temp a couple of degrees for 2 days before I start the cold crash. Today, I started that cold crash, my system can get me to 3C easily enough, but below 3 it usually it sometimes struggles dependant upon ambient temp.

So, at what temp does yeast settle? Is 3C ok?

3 degrees will be fine. You'll drop most stuff out at at that temp, might just take a few days.

You can add some finings (gelatin/polyclar) to speed things up if you like.

JD

<4oC is really the right answer, so if you are getting to 3oC your all good, naturally the colder the better until the beer starts to freeze, generally somewhere around -2oC.
Just a note, Polyclar isn't a fining, it reacts chemically with polyphenols and removes them so they cant combine with Protein to form haze. There is another version called Polyclar 70/30, it contains the PVPP that is in Polyclar and Silica Xerogell which is the active ingredient in Biofine Clear.
Gelatin is a fining (well some are) but it only acts on yeast, Isinglass is another fining related to gelatin but made from fish rather than cows. It works on yeast and chill haze so its great for finishing off a Lager.
I'm quite impressed with Biofine Clear (Silica Xerogell), used some to finish off a Pilsner recently, did two batches one with and one without and there was a noticeable difference.

In the above Pilsner we used Brewbright which is a kettle fining containing PVPP and Carrageenan extracted from Irish Moss (similar to what is in Copper Floc, Whirlfloc...) The idea being that if you are looking for a really "Bright" beer everything you can do at each step in the process add up to a cleaner product at the end.
This is a sample of the cast wort (what went into the fermenter)
Mark
20190103_145147[1].jpg

Agree with Mark, -2 C and the freezing can start, high ABV should be fine but I wouldn't go any lower.

Back