Cold crashing pale ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Proffs

Reaction score
Hi everyone. Cool site. I got my first home brew kit from my local HBS last week and immediately put down a coopers pale ale kit. In all the excitement tho I forgot we were going camping on Thursday for a couple of nights. So, I have it sitting in the laundry near a door so it gets a cool breeze to keep temps down. I put it down last Thursday night, and we are going away Thursday. SG has been reading 1010 - 1009 for the past 24 hours but I won't have time to bottle before we go and don't want to risk temps rising with the house all shut up while we're away. Should I throw the whole fermenter in the fridge til I get back?

Recipe was CPA can, coopers BE2, 250g dex, 23 liters. Yesterday I threw in about 20g of moteuka. Thanks in advance!

Proffs

If it is still at 1.010 by thursday it is done and can be cold crashed in the fridge no problems.

Give the yeasties time to clean up, as fermentation has likely finished the temp rise is inconsequential. Normal procedure for standard gravity ales for me is 10-14 days at 18 then down to -1 for couple of days. Don't rush things too much, tempting to do with first brew.

seamad said:
Give the yeasties time to clean up, as fermentation has likely finished the temp rise is inconsequential. Normal procedure for standard gravity ales for me is 10-14 days at 18 then down to -1 for couple of days. Don't rush things too much, tempting to do with first brew.
I would rather leave it too. So even if it got up to around 30 degrees AFTER fermentation finished it will be ok? I'm in Brisbane.

With the weather we've been having can't see it getting to 30, mind you i live up tamborine mountain so it's a bit cooler here. I'd still be inclined to leave it, not perfect. Sounds like you need a stc1000 !.

seamad said:
With the weather we've been having can't see it getting to 30, mind you i live up tamborine mountain so it's a bit cooler here. I'd still be inclined to leave it, not perfect. Sounds like you need a stc1000 !.
Yea, the laundry runs off the garage so it can heat up if its all closed up. One step ahead of you with the stc1000; already got the fridge! :D

To do with Cold Crashing,do you drop your FV to a very low temp,before you bottle or have I read threads on this subject wrong.If you do drop the temp how low do you go & for how long.Does this also stop a bit of chill haze. :beerbang:

Ash, drop it down to one degree celcius or somewhere in the ballpark. A minimum of three days but longer is better. No help with chill haze as covered in other threads tonight.

Just leave it till you get back it will be fine. CC it then before you bottle it.

Cheers

goomboogo said:
Ash, drop it down to one degree celcius or somewhere in the ballpark. A minimum of three days but longer is better. No help with chill haze as covered in other threads tonight.
Their is a God ( Thanks ) :beerbang:Just here to learn & make better brews. :super:

Latest posts

Back