Cold crashing after dry hopping

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adzr

Reaction score
Hi all,
I've done some searching and cannot find anything on this specific query. I have made a 2IPA that has a lot of citra and amarillo dry hops. The first lot of dry hops were put in the fermenter about a week after pitching the yeast, and then additional dry hops have been added every 3 days. Dry hopping will last no longer than 12 days. Total dry hops is about 120 grams. I usually cold crash my beers for 2 days prior to kegging to clear up the beer.

My questions is, will cold crashing a beer with a lot of dry hops drop out a lot of the hoppy flavour and aroma? I'm concerned that by cold crashing, I'll undo or negate the effect of the dry hops.

Any thoughts or advice much appreciated, cheers.

Not entirely sure but some people recommend dry hopping while cold crashing. This makes me think that is shouldn't have a negative impact.

I just bottled a batch with pretty much exactly what you described. It was still hoppy as F after 3 days at 2 dungarees C and very clear.

What was the SG when you first dry hopped? Should wait til it’s almost done or you will lose some hop flavours to c02 apparently. I dry hop then crash a day later, have found the same utilisation as leaving for 3 days before crashing. You could look up extraction of oils at different temps if you wanted to get scientific. Otherwise just do it and record your results

The biggest thing with dry hopping is I’ve found I.T fades very quickly. 2 weeks and it’s a different beer

cold crashing after dry hopping is most people's usual method. My beers always have great hop aroma using this method.

leave em in.
you don't want to be introducing any more O2 than you have to.

Thanks a lot for the responses everyone. I just added the last of the dry hops yesterday, so I think I will cold crash today and then bottle it in 2 days time. Seems that will be fine with what you have all described. Cheers!

Back