Cold crashin in different fridges??

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimmyBrew

Reaction score
Hey folks, I’m very new to this and have only been brewing for a month now. I’ve just signed up on here (Today) to learn and hopefully improve my ways as a home brewer. So I have a question regarding cold crashing.

I have two fermenting fridges both with temp controllers. I’m wanting to know if I’ve got an ale in one that’s had seven days at 18 degrees, then finished it’s next seven days at 22 degrees, can I put it into the other fridge that is prechilled to 2 degrees?? Or do I have to drop the temp slowly by adjusting the controller to 2 degrees and let the fridge make its way down to temp. Thanks in advance 🍻

The pre-chilled fridge doesn't have a great deal of thermal mass so it won't make much difference, if you want to cold crash quickly to drop the yeast and hop bits out, you could put your fermenter in there or you could just set the temp to 0 or 2. If you want to cool slowly, 2 degrees per day if you were making a lager for instance, then leave it where it is and adjust temperature daily.

I think cooling quickly is harder on the yeast, if you were going to re-use it this might be a consideration.

If you bottle it cold the bottles will leave puddles wherever you put them until they warm up to ambient.

If you keg it cold the beer will absorb carbon dioxide more easily

Thanks for that Sidney,
I have an Ale in one fridge @18 and a larger in the other@11. Tomorrow the lager is due to start its week at 18 and on the 7th I was going to put the ale in the prechilled @2 fridge. The larger will start its 2 per day drop on the 9th. Do you think it will shock the yeast too much? I’m not collecting it yet. But would be interested in that once I get the hang of things a bit more.
Cheers 🍻

I don't think dropping the temp 2 degrees a day will do the yeast any harm, the idea is that the yeast will keep working very slowly at the low temperature, you need to leave it something to do so if fermentation is complete I cannot see what the yeast can achieve. I think you might need fermantation 75% complete which you can determine better with a hydrometer than a calendar. Some research on lager making would be useful, I've not been very succesful at lagers and I don't brew them very oftern they always turn out OK but never like a decent Geman or Chec pils so I can't say anything in particular has worked well for me.

Ok thanks. I will read up and see what’s out there. It’s my first lager too. I’ve only ever done ales before. Looking forward to legging it.

Brewing for a month and 2 controlled temp fermenting fridges, mate yer a bloody legend, why the heck people don't get how important temp control is, is beyond me, just wanted to say well done!

Brewing for a month and 2 controlled temp fermenting fridges, mate yer a bloody legend, why the heck people don't get how important temp control is, is beyond me, just wanted to say well done!
Haha. Cheers mate , appreciate it.
A mate runs the LBS and has been helping me get set up. I’m only using FWKat the moment, is like to move up to all grain eventually
image.jpg

Haha. No not at all, It’s huge. I haven’t tried it yet. Rapid decent is not bad, has a bitter after kick tho. I’m kegging.

Attachments

• 0E4CE7E1-46E2-4C18-A4C4-F19BA6A2065E.jpeg
    0E4CE7E1-46E2-4C18-A4C4-F19BA6A2065E.jpeg
    130.6 KB · Views: 44
  • 51CB2229-B0D5-4035-BF23-133B4E461519.jpeg
    51CB2229-B0D5-4035-BF23-133B4E461519.jpeg
    245.5 KB · Views: 44
  • E356CD57-A3E8-443C-A9E3-2215A3D78501.jpeg
    E356CD57-A3E8-443C-A9E3-2215A3D78501.jpeg
    218 KB · Views: 44
Yes, he said it will be a better option to carbonate and still be able to pour at a constant pressure.🤷🏼‍♂️ I’m just following his lead. Haha

Like Grmblz said, well done! It took me 10 years to get to to get where you are. I too have just done my first lager..... sort of. I did it under pressure cos I don't have the patience to wait months for a beer lol.

Cheers Blackman.
I’ve seen pressure fermenting, I’d be interested to see how much time it saves. Is yours a Fermzilla? They look pretty cool.

Latest posts

Back