Cold crashed too early, what to do?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NealK

Reaction score
I, very stupidly, looked at my APA that has been fermenting with Nottingham yeast for 10 days and decided to turn the fridge down to 4 for cold crashing. I didn't check the sg until today and it is 1.020. I have taken it out of the fermenting fridge and put the Kolsch in that has been fermenting in the pantry at room temps.
Has anybody else done this (cold crashed too soon)?
If I let it come up to room temps will the yeast wake up and finish the job? (expected 1.010)
Any other suggestions?

recipe is
3.5 kg pale malt
1 kg munich malt
500g toasted malt
25g EKG @ 40 mins
25g tettnang @ 20 mins
20g amarillo in cube.
lallemand nottingham yeast rehydrated as per packet instructions.

Fermented at 16 for 10 days then cold crashed.

I will happily drink it 3.5%abv but would prefer to have it the way I planned (4.5%)

Thanks guys.
Doing nothing often sounds easier than it is.

I've noticed that in several threads posts are appearing three times.

Well just happened again and I'm getting this error message:
Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /home/ahb/public_html/admin/applications_addon/ips/ccs/sources/databases/topics.php on line 241

Watch this one get posted three times as well

Nottingham is a very fast yeast and 10 days should be plenty of time for it to fully ferment. Did you notice a lot of krausen over the first few days? After ten days with nottingham I would say its done.

OK thinking outside the box - did you adjust the gravity for the cold temperature? When cold the reading is HIGHER than the gravity really is.
Although 1.020 at 4C is not that different - 1.018 at 20C.

I did let the sample cool before taking a reading. I am starting to think that the high fg may be down to mashing at 69 and not enough aeration.

Finally kegged this yesterday. FG was 1.015. It was a little higher than expected but much better than the previous reading.
Thanks for all the replies.
I brew on my own and being able to ask questions on these forums really helps when things are not going to plan.
Cheers
Neal

Latest posts

Back