Cold crashed priming sugar

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gordon Stewart

Reaction score
Lads and lassies first time poster...love all the info on this Forum!

Have a gage roads single fin type brewing from a kit with additional hops added.... cold crashed in primary fermenter at 2deg for last 5 days to allow sediment to settle.

I have those carbonation drops, but I'm unsure if it needs one or 2 lollies per 700ml bottle at that temp.

The calculator from another homebrewing site recommends 4.12g at 3 deg which is approx 1 lolly....if I've cold crashed wouldn't there be less residual yeast, therefore requiring more priming sugars?

Also, after I bottle I'll be storing at about 20deg (WA room temp) for 2-3 weeks before comsummpcon.

Is this a satisfactory way to do it? Or better to let the primary fermenter come back to room temp before bottling and priming?

Cheers for any info.

G

Lads and lassies first time poster...love all the info on this Forum!

Have a gage roads single fin type brewing from a kit with additional hops added.... cold crashed in primary fermenter at 2deg for last 5 days to allow sediment to settle.

I have those carbonation drops, but I'm unsure if it needs one or 2 lollies per 700ml bottle at that temp.

The calculator from another homebrewing site recommends 4.12g at 3 deg which is approx 1 lolly....if I've cold crashed wouldn't there be less residual yeast, therefore requiring more priming sugars?

Also, after I bottle I'll be storing at about 20deg (WA room temp) for 2-3 weeks before comsummpcon.

Is this a satisfactory way to do it? Or better to let the primary fermenter come back to room temp before bottling and priming?

Cheers for any info.

G
I don't use the drops, I use dextrose and bulk prime when bottling The temperature does supposedly make a difference there is a calculator on Brewers Friend but even on there they claim it is a grey area. There will always be enough yeast to prime the bottles even if the wort looks clear, I condition mine at fermenting temperature, but 20 will be fine. If you let the fermenter come back up to room temperature theres a good chance of the yeast coming out of suspension. If you are using a calculator put in 10 or 15 degrees and prime or just go ahead with the priming drops.

2 drops per 700ml. Don't worry about the cold crash temp.
I mainly bottle in 500ml and still go 2 drops per bottle.
I have started bulk priming the last 2 brews and those priming calc pages can be confusing as hell. So far my brews have been under carbed going to go back to drops if it doesn't improve after the next batch.

Cheers for the replies - went with the 2xdrops / 700ml - have had one in the fridge for last few days - ill post up a reply about how its turned out!

Back