Cold Conditioning

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kaitai

Reaction score
Hey guys. Was just wondering if you guys have a tap or use a bung on your cube/jerry whilst it is in CC'ing?

If, you're not using a tap, how do you bulk prime before bottling? Siphon from the top of the cube?

Cheers all

you can syphon but it's a bit messy
with a tap and the right sized tube you can run it through the tube with barely a bubble

Thanks, makes sense.

Might have to get myself a new cube. The tap fits very poorly on my 20l jerry and leaks. Had to just use a bung the last time I used it for CC and yeah, it was messy to siphon off the top.

Anyone elese experience the leaky tap? I don't really want to silastic it on, as then you can't remove it to clean it correctly.

there's 2 types
one with a tapered thread and a parallel thread type
the good straight ones have a rubber o-ring as well

spend maybe $1.50-2.50 for a new tap may be all you need

Kaitai
I use galss carboys for my secondary/cc, and there arent any taps on them. I invested the $15 or $20 (cant remember now) in a racking cane from my LHBS, and havent looked back. Using a tap is fine, but I have actually taken all the taps out of my plastic fermenters, replaced em with bungs, and now just use my racking cane for everything. Just another option if the new tap doesnt fix yer problem.
All the best
Trent

kaitai

If there's a leak around the tap, that white pipe thread tape maybe all you need. I had one barrel leaking around the tap & found it had split along the thread through to the front. Couldn't repair.

I use the blue Willow Water Jerry cans from Supercheap for c/cing. They're 'bout NZ$20 & the taps are usually close by & $2.00 (I think). Probably less if you're in Oz. They hold reasonable pressure also.

I rack from the can into a keg using a PVC hose that fits onto the tap & adapts to a barbed ball lock fitting that plugs onto the liquid post of the keg.

Very little bubbling during the process, although this method means racking takes ages.

Cheers

WayneO

God Bless My Mum 15/07/30 - 13/11/05

Just make sure you remove that bung and clean from time to time. Good place for bugs to hide

I have a feeling the issue is with the tap. Just can't get it to tighten, will only go so far before it clicks out of the thread and is loose again. Bung goes in with no problem. I'd hate to put the jerry can in the fridge and look the next morning to see all my beer on the bottom of the fridge :(

kaitai said:
I have a feeling the issue is with the tap. Just can't get it to tighten, will only go so far before it clicks out of the thread and is loose again. Bung goes in with no problem. I'd hate to put the jerry can in the fridge and look the next morning to see all my beer on the bottom of the fridge :(
[post="90216"][/post]​

Kaitai,
No problem with secondary with bung in. Screw it out and attach the tap at bottling time (ie lie the cube on its side, lid tightened of course 8)). Just keep those threads clean!
cheers
Darren

Kaitai,
No problem with secondary with bung in. Screw it out and attach the tap at bottling time (ie lie the cube on its side, lid tightened of course 8)). Just keep those threads clean!
cheers
Darren
[post="90231"][/post]​
[/quote]

Won't this just mix the yeast that has dropped out of suspension back into the beer?

Depends how gentle you are. Little bit of yeast is ok. I assume you are priming? That will obviously add yeast to the bottle.
cheers
Darren

I use some white food grade square plastic drums that contained distilled water, they will take the standard white plastic tap I have also drilled a hole in the cap to take an airlock. I treat these with the same care as the fermenter when it comes to sanitising, I remove all the grommets, washers etc. and inspect and replace if neccessary. I find that I have to replace the washer on the tap evry now and then.

Cheers
BradT

Darren said:
kaitai said:
[post="90216"][/post]​

Kaitai,
cheers
Darren
[post="90231"][/post]​

Here at rough as guts brewing, cubes condition with a bung cos a tap dont fit in the fridge. Then place upright on table, screw cap on tight, partially unscrew bung with sanitised tap at hand, go into zen mode, flick bung last couple of turns and install tap in one smooth move. About a cup of beer showers on your feet, unless tap is open at screwing in, in which case more like a litre.

I just use a syphon tube - a pump one that doesn't require you sucking on the end of it. A really good investment....

I found whilst I was using that method there was no need for a pump.
Simply push most of the racking hose into the beer. Pinch off the end of the hose. Pull the hose out of the beer. The line should stay full of beer. Put hose in secondary and release the end.
Beer should flow freely. Too easy.
The beauty of a tap is you can turn it off easily and you get most of the beer (ie no need to worry about racking hose coming off the bottom of the cube.
cheers
Darren

Darren said:
I found whilst I was using that method there was no need for a pump.
Simply push most of the racking hose into the beer. Pinch off the end of the hose. Pull the hose out of the beer. The line should stay full of beer. Put hose in secondary and release the end.
Beer should flow freely. Too easy.
The beauty of a tap is you can turn it off easily and you get most of the beer (ie no need to worry about racking hose coming off the bottom of the cube.
cheers
Darren
[post="90414"][/post]​

That's why I use a syphon tube - It sits on the bottom & its intake is slightly higher, preventing hops/yeast getting sucked up. Not all containers have a tap option, so a syphon tube IMO is invaluable - Also if by some chance you get a blockage, it's far simpler to remove the syphon tube & clean the obstruction than trying to clear taps...

Cheers Ross

The first time I racked from the jerry I siphoned from the rop until it was 3/4 empty and then put the tap in and drained from that till it was empty.

Went the the local camping shop today and saw some nice 20l cubes, and the tap fits nicely. Liked the look of them more than the jerry I use now, so I think I might pick a cple of these up. They should fit in the fridge better as well. The lids seem to seal on them better than the jerry as well.

Cheers

Latest posts

Back